Julia Poppell ’17: Language Loving Fitness Junkie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Julia PoppellMajor: NutritionHometown: Beaufort, South Carolina

What made you choose Winthrop?

I really like how open and diverse the campus is and of course, it’s really pretty.

What’s your favorite thing to do on campus?

My favorite thing is to go to the West Center. Probably because I do it way too much. It’s kind of like a home away from home.

What have you been involved in through Winthrop?

I’ve been involved in the Peer Mentor program, I’m a Zumba instructor, I work for Residence life, and I’ve been involved in the Global Friends program.

Oh, what’s the Global Friends program?

It’s basically just for like developing your language skills. Like for instance, someone helped me in Spanish and I helped someone else in English. It’s a give and get kind of thing.

What was your favorite thing about being a Peer Mentor?

Oh my gosh, so many things. I think my favorite thing was getting to see the change. There were a lot of kids in the back being quiet at the beginning and then I got to see them blossom and everything. It’s great.

What’s something interesting people might not know about you?

A lot of people are surprised when they find out I speak Spanish. And that I went to Mexico for the summer and it was really cool. Plus, when I went to Mexico I sang in a worship band and it was all in Spanish so it was hard but fun. Oh! And I really like biscuits.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years?

In 5 years *counts on fingers* oh ok, I would definitely love to be in the Peace Corps or working for a non-profit organization overseas helping in like third world developing countries.

What’s your favorite movie?

Oh my gosh. That’s the hardest question. There are so many. Ok, of all time, my favorite is Grease. Because how can you ever get tired of it?

What are three of your favorite hobbies?

Dancing, um now that you ask me I forget about everything I like to do. Let’s see? I really like traveling, is that a hobby? Also I like studying Spanish or trying to learn other languages.

Describe yourself in three words.

Athletic, passionate, and open-minded.

Any celebrity crushes?

Yes! But I don’t remember his name… oh Enrique Iglesias, duh!

Kali Coleman is currently a freshman Mass Communications major at Winthrop University. Although it’s hard, she has found hobbies outside of napping and Netflix – the gods of activities in her opinion. These hobbies include writing, art, theatre, and most importantly – comedy. She finds the best way to get through any day is with a laugh (or hopefully multiple laughs). Mindy Kaling is her personal hero. If you reference anything to the shows The Mindy Project or Parks and Recreation, you might accidentally not be able to shut her up. She also is obsessed with smoothies and the a cappella group Pentatonix (who she may have seen 5 times in concert - oops), which don’t really correlate unless you can come up with some weird correlation. If you wish to know anything more about her or just read some of her other internet ramblings, you can follow her on Twitter and/or Instagram: @kalifornia429
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.