How to Get Rid of Your Hiccups Every Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Hey Collegiettes! We know just how annoying it is to have the hiccups, especially when you can’t seem to get rid of them. We’re here to give you some of the best ways to get rid of your hiccups that do not involving getting scared.

Hold your breath

This may not always work for everyone, but it does come in handy the times that it does work, and it doesn’t hurt to try.

Cup your hand over your mouth and your nose and breathe normally

This extra dose of carbon dioxide has be said to supposedly help your hiccups.

Eat a spoonful of peanut butter

While you are chewing and getting the peanut butter off of your tongue and teeth, your swallowing and breathing patterns are interrupted, making the hiccups go away.

Sip some water

Again, this may not help everyone, but it’s great when it does work.

And finally, the one we’ve found to work EVERY TIME…

Breathe deeply and drink water

Breathe in slowly and as deep as you possibly can. Breathe out slowly and as much as you possibly can (literally until there is no air left in your lungs). Immediately drink three sips of water. As soon as you are finished swallowing the water, begin to breathe in again. Repeat this two more times and your hiccups will be gone!

Ali Maclay is a biology major, chemistry minor, psychology minor, and honors student at Winthrop University. She is an aspiring Neuroscientist and hopes to work at St. Jude Children's Hospital. She is the Facebook Social Media Director for Her Campus Winthrop's Facebook page, and associate member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, and a member of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society at Winthrop. When she's not doing academic work, working at her job, or writing for HC, she's probably binge-watching Netflix, dreaming on Pinterest, stress cleaning, or eating ice cream.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.