Her Story: How Going Greek Changed My College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

College is all about sleepless nights, adventures, organizations, and making new friends.

Sometimes it’s challenging, but in the end, I’m sure it is well worth it. Unlike High School, it is much more difficult to meet new people and become involved in social groups but people kept telling me to get involved because it would “better my college experience.”

As a sophomore, I realized that there was no better time than now. And yes, it has only been two weeks and I’ve already gain 65 sisters and a whole lot of memories.

Sophomore year is a really awkward year, you aren’t “that new kid”, or getting a class ring, and the thought of graduating seems like an eternity away. For me, I spent every day doing the same routine thing and spending all my time with all the same people. Let’s not forget the countless hours spent binge watching Netflix and Buzzfeed videos.  So, by this point, I was way too comfortable with doing nothing – I NEEDED to get involved.

I decided to step out on a limb and apply to be a writer for Her Campus at my college. I have never written but I’ve always wanted to. I figured if I was accepted I could better my writing and social skills. The second thing I decided to do was go through recruitment, nothing seems better than joining an organization and making new friends! After three days of dressing up and talking to countless amounts of girls, I accepted a bid from my top choice. As soon as I ran home, I was welcomed with open arms by so many genuine girls who accepted me for who I am.

Going through recruitment helped me step out of my comfort zone, take initiative and introduce myself to new girls. We spent our free time playing games, eating, and of course sharing our nervous/exciting thoughts on our journey. Since then, many of us have run home to the homes we belong to but still talk and make time for each other.

Meeting my new sisters and becoming pledged in has made me happier than I have ever been. My sisters and my sorority encourage me to be the best version of myself.

These organizations have now kept me busy, organized, and ready to conquer the world. My definition of college is now much more than a place to go to get a degree. So girls, get out there, plug in to any or all the organizations your college has to offer! Watch yourself grow into the woman you’ve always wanted to be. While Greek life may not be for everyone, I could not imagine my life without it! 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.