Her Campus Gave Me A Free Appointment With The Online Clinic Maven And Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Hello, Collegiettes! I’m here with some super exciting news. 

If you’re anything like me, you probably spend a good deal of time browsing through not only your University’s HC website, but that national website as well. I absolutely love seeing what articles nationals has put out, the top stories from other universities, and more than anything… the giveaways!

For those of you who don’t know, there is a section on the national Her Campus site that promotes all of their giveaways currently being hosted. I, like most other people in the world, enjoy free things – so naturally I try to enter all of the giveaways I possibly can, despite the miniscule chances of winning. 

As I was browsing the site I came across a giveaway titled “Network Like a Boss,” and naturally being the boss a** b*tch that I am, I did just that. I finished my submission, went about my day, and proceeded to forget all about it. Then, much to my surprise, I received an email several days later that said I had won!

The details of my prize package included: 

1. A free video appointment from Maven, the first digital clinic for women, worth $25.

2. An adorable tote bag pack with a notebook, water bottle, pen, and magnet worth another $50. 

I was beyond excited – but also a little bit confused. 

I had absolutely no idea what Maven was. 

After a little bit of research I discovered that Maven is in fact something that all women should be aware of. Maven is an online clinic just for women. 

Their mission statement is as follows: 

Women in America make 80% of all health decisions for themselves and their families. But the current healthcare system is not exactly female-friendly. This fact is all too obvious for any mother who has ever had to miss work to get care for her child, or any student struggling to get birth control, or any woman who has worried all night because she can’t get a simple answer from her doctor.

We started Maven because we want to make it easier for women to get immediate, professional care, from someone they trust. Wherever they are, whenever they need it. We’ve built a network of doctors, nurse practitioners, mental health providers, and specialists in all areas of women’s and children’s health, and make it easy for women to connect with them directly via video appointment or private message—whether it’s for a prescription or just for peace of mind.

Maven seeks to make healthcare for women not only more accessible, but more understanding as well. Almost all Maven health care professionals are female. They are there to listen, address, and understand your problems in a way that men often can not. 

Whether you’re looking to speak with a nutritionist about starting a diet, a nurse practitioner about the migraines you’ve been experiencing, or even a mental health professional about the stressful work or school load you’re currently facing – Maven has got you covered. 

All you have to do is make an account, pick a topic you’d like to discuss, find a health care provider you think you’d be interested in, and make an appointment! 

An easy-to-use navigation center can be found on the left-hand side after making your account. 

You are automatically given a Care Coordinator who is there to answer any questions you may have, and upon choosing a health care provider, their name and contact information will also appear here. 

Finding the right health care provider for you takes only a series of clicks! Depending on what services you’re looking for, Maven employees are able to discuss treatment plans, set up follow-up appointments, and even prescribe medicine all through video-chat appointments! 

The healthcare provider I chose was named Rachel, a mental health care professional. She was vibrant, friendly, and very well-informed. I felt like all of my questions were appropriately and thoroughly answered, and my overall experience was extremely positive – 10/10 would recommend. 

The whole point of making an online only clinic is to make healthcare more accessible for those who lead busy and fast-paced lives. 

Whether you’re a student, a business woman, or a mother, personal health should still be a top priority.

So, for those of who can never find time to make that dreaded doctors appointment, drag ourselves to the doctors office, and be bothered to wait however long to speak to a health care provider, the good news is we no longer have to – Maven has got us covered. 

Nicholle Lewis

Winthrop '20

Nicholle is a junior biology major with a minor in psychology and Winthrop University. In addition to being Editor in Cheif for Her Campus at Winthrop, she is an honors student, an undergraduate research assistant, a member of the fraternal conduct board, and a sister of Delta Zeta. In her free time, Nicholle enjoys reading, hiking, yoga, and meeting new dogs. When asked what her favorite aspect of Her Campus is, Nicholle replied "I love Her Campus because if has helped me learn to not only find my own voice, but to use it to connect with so many people I wouldn't have met otherwise." 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.