This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Going to college can be a huge shock for any student out there. Finding your place can be difficult at first, and it can be easy to go home every weekend or just lay in bed watching Netflix (we’ve all been there). However, getting involved on campus is one of the best ways to get out of this “slump” and meet some awesome people and do some awesome things!

Over this summer, I was an Orientation Leader. This position was my first huge involvement on campus, and it was an amazing experience! Through this position, I met so many people, gained confidence in myself, and had more personal growth than I thought possible. Since this position, I have become more involved on campus and fallen in love with Winthrop even more!

Where do I start?

I know you’ve heard it before- “Winthrop has over 170 clubs and organizations you can get involved in.” Okay, but what are they?

A simple way to start off is by looking for clubs that are for your major!

This is a great way to meet people that you’ll be having classes with, plus you can meet some upperclassmen in your major who will be more than happy to talk to you about your classes and offer advice.

Another good starting point is getting involved where you live!

There’s Hall Councils for each residence hall that provide an opportunity for residents to voice their opinions and are intended to promote unity among the residents, increase the standard of living, and help members gain leadership skills!

One thing that is big on all college campuses is Fraternities and Sororities.

If this is something that interests you, Greek Organizations are part of Winthrop’s community and are a great way to meet people who share the same values as you, create lifelong friendships, gain leadership skills, and give back to your campus and community!

Another part of Winthrop’s campus is club and intramural sports!

Club sports generally have tryouts, set practices, and travel to other schools and play their club teams. However, if you’re just looking to play for fun there’s also intramural sports and you can have some friendly competition. If playing sports isn’t your thing, you’re more than welcome to come watch your friends play, and you’re definitely encouraged to attend Winthrop’s sporting events!

Depending on your interests, Winthrop also has cultural, political, professional, service, and religious organizations, as well as campus ministries! These groups are a great way to meet people with common interests as you and to build your leadership skills!

Looking for more than a club?

While Winthrop’s campus is full of these clubs, there’s also opportunities for more leadership experience. Some positions you can apply for on campus include Ambassadors, Resident Assistant (RA), Orientation Leader (OL), Transfer and Orientation Leader and Mentor (TOLM), Peer Mentor, Digiorgio Student Union (DSU), and Council of Student Leaders (CSL). These positions are sure to help your leadership skills and confidence, and provide tons of friendly faces on campus!

I know college life can be tough, but keep your heads up, collegiettes, and get yourself out there!

Allee Campbell

Winthrop '21

Hi! My name is Allee and I'm an Exercise Science major at Winthrop University! I love doggos and hiking and am excited to be part of Her Campus!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.