This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

So what’s this big “F” word people are constantly referring to in the media and throughout society today? Well, feminism is a topic that must be discussed in an informed and insightful manner, because it is not what the media displays it to be. In fact, it is much simpler, and quite frankly it is a basic characteristic everyone should possess, or believe to have some form of truthfulness.

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines Feminism as,

the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes, organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests”.

So why does feminism receive so much hatred from people all around the world? This idea stems from the belief that all feminist and advocates for women’s rights are bra-burning, violent people who believe in a matriarchal society where women are superior to men.

This is completely ignorant and entirely wrong.

Feminism is the advocacy of women’s rights as a whole and not the degradation of men. To proclaim yourself as a feminist means that you believe the world should share an equal view on the sexes and that the current patriarchal society we inhibit should be demolished. Although a feminist believes that men should not be superior to women, it doesn’t’t mean that they believe women are superior nor should they hold more power than men. That would be hypocritical.

An average “real” feminist will speak on behalf of the women who feel they don’t have a voice; they will rally for the rights of women in every country and not just their own. A feminist will recognize the prejudices society holds against women and attempt with all their strength to destroy them; a feminist believes every sex is equal and no human being is superior to another.

Anti-feminism has recently received tons of recognition and praise by men, and even some women, for being morally and traditionally correct. The points, however, backing up these newfound groups of people who oppose women and the feminist movement are entirely invalid and uneducated beliefs from misogynistic people with no true knowledge of the subject at hand.

The term anti-feminism, as defined by Webster Dictionary, is

“opposed to feminism”.

Therefore, if you claim to be an anti-feminist you could define feminism within anti-feminism to get,

“opposed to the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes”.

When you define it in this manner the idea of anti-feminism becomes insane and dumbfounding. Anti-feminist oftentimes will back up their comments and sexist remarks with incorrect statements regarding what feminism is in their eyes. They will follow the news as they display certain protests or rallies where people, who claim to be feminists but are really just misandrists, protest idiotically.

Misandry is the hatred or establishment of prejudice viewpoints against men, which is equal to misogyny on every level. The mistreatment and discrimination of either sex by one another is bigoted and utterly absurd. Feminism is in relation to egalitarianism and they should be shown in the same light as one another. Anti-feminist are misinformed, blinded people who have not been exposed to the truth concealed behind the media’s portrayal of feminist.

So, keep in mind that feminism is for everyone and women’s rights will continue to advance until they reach the same tier as men. Women are not weak and we will always push the limits in order to prove we are all equal in every way. The future is female and I stand beside my fellow feminist today and everyday as we fight for equality, even if it doesn’t personally affect in every time.

Hi! I'm an aspiring writer working on her Mass Communications degree at Winthrop University! I write for multiple publications on campus and am so excited to be a part of this wonderful team with an amazing group of girls!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.