En Guard: Winthrop’s Very Own Fencing Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Ladies, if you’ve been looking for a fun, active club that makes you forget you’re working out, the Winthrop Fencing Club is the answer to your prayers! I’ve been part of the Fencing Club for a semester now and honestly, it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made since coming to Winthrop. Here’s a small window into why the Fencing Club is great – and why you should join!

Members of the Winthrop Fencing Club alongside the club’s coach

What even IS the Fencing Club?

When asked how the Fencing Club president, Ashley Cooper, would describe the club, she summed it up perfectly: “We sword fight!” Okay, okay, there’s definitely more to the club than sword fighting, but you can’t deny that it sounds fun!

The Fencing Club meets twice a week (8:30 PM to 10:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays) where you can get some exercise in while being taught how to fence! The coaches, as well as other members, are so helpful in helping new fencers develop skills while having a good time. The best part? You don’t need any fencing experience to join! Fencing is an unusual, uncommon sport that gets you exercising and developing skills you never thought you’d have – all while having fun!

If you don’t believe me, just read what some current Winthrop Fencing members had to say when I asked them about the club!

An action shot from a fencing match

How did you get into fencing?

Honestly, a lot of the members told me that they got into fencing just because it sounded cool. The Princess Bride, the Olympics, and Star Wars all provided inspiration for some returning members to try it out for the first time. I mean, who could resist trying to live out The Princess Bride in real life? If that’s not a reason to try something new, I don’t know what is.

How did you even find the club?

Ladies, if you have heard of the Winthrop Fencing Club before this article, you aren’t alone. While some people, like returning members Spike and Rickey, specifically looked for the club, others found the club in a happy accident after Convocation.

Goals

What’s your favorite part of the club?

As cheesy as it sounds, a lot of members told me that the comradery and friends they made through the Fencing Club were their favorite parts of the club. Learning new skills, making friends, exercising, and having fun memories with new people are all some of the best parts about joining the club. The best summary I heard? Spike, a freshman and second semester fencer, told me “Everything. I just love everything about the club.” I’m sold!

Why did you return to the club?

There are fencers in the club that range from freshmen to seniors, and the members have been fencing anywhere from one semester to three years. The reasons they decided to keep coming back to the club were all so different. Some liked the close-knit family that formed from the club, and others came back because it’s a great way to forget you’re exercising. Again, I got the perfect answer from Spike: “Everything!” Honestly? I agree.

What’s your favorite memory you’ve made in the club?

In such a close-knit group, it’s not hard at all to make fun memories. Tournaments, team-bonding experiences, fencing other members, and jokes during practice are just a few of the best memories I’ve made in the club, but some of the other fencers have more exciting memories. A lot of returning fencers, like Amber and Roneisha, have found some of their favorite memories in fencing other members. There’s something so satisfying about winning your first match or fencing someone twice your height. Other fencers, like Spike and Rickey, made their best memories during their first tournament experience. To them, every part of tournaments is great. Even losing matches or just the ride to and from can be a way to make amazing memories with new friends.

We’re having fun I swear.

Ladies, I might be a little bit biased, but I think the fencing club is a great way to get exercise, have fun, and meet new people. Don’t be afraid to give something new a try! Who knows, you may end up loving it like I did!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.