This Brand Makes Organic Female Hygiene Products, Condoms and More!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Personal health is important. Whether we’re talking about physical health or mental health, there are certain maintenance activities and preventative measures that need to be taken in order to keep ourselves in check. 

With this being said, there is a certain amount of disparity between what is necessary to maintain the physical health of women versus men, the majority of these differences stemming from our contrasting reproductive systems. 

Women get periods, vaginal infections, have children and so much more – and while I like to think we do everything in our power to keep our lady bits both happy and healthy, there is an interesting fact that many of us have overlooked. We don’t really know what our hygiene products are made of. 

Tampax, Kotex, Playex; the number of brands that make female hygiene products is endless, but do we really know what goes into these products? Many women don’t realize that the FDA doesn’t require brands to disclose the materials, chemicals, and ingredients that go into producing female hygiene products, and because of this many women are unaware of what they’re putting inside their bodies. A woman’s vagina is the most absorbent part of her body, so what you put in there really does matter.  

This troubling realization drove one woman to start her own sexual wellness brand aimed at educating women on the importance of reproductive health in addition to providing safe and effective sexual wellness products. 

Sustain Natural, a company started by Meika Hollender (pictured above) roughly four years ago, provides tampons, pads, condoms, lubes, and post-play wipes that are free of carcinogens and other harmful chemicals. In addition to avoiding dangerous substances, all of the Sustain Natural products are designed with the planet in mind (in other words, they’re eco-friendly) AND 10% of the profits from every purchase goes towards women’s healthcare organizations in an effort to provide reproductive healthcare for those women who cannot readily access it. 

The Sustain Natural website also its own blog where it discusses reproductive health, sexual wellness, and feminism too! If you’re interested in seeing what the brand has to say, click here to read more. 

Additionally, Meika Hollender has recently written her own book all about sexual and reproductive health aimed at discrediting myths associated with the female body, the fear many women have when it comes to asking sexual questions, and so much more! The book is not currently available, but if you’d like to pre-order a copy or just see what it’s all about, click here to learn more!

All in all, this brand was started by women, for women, with the intent to help women. So, collegiettes, the next time you’re about to start your period, or have a little one-on-one fun with someone special, make sure you know what your products are made of and whether or not they were actually made with your needs in mind!

Nicholle Lewis

Winthrop '20

Nicholle is a junior biology major with a minor in psychology and Winthrop University. In addition to being Editor in Cheif for Her Campus at Winthrop, she is an honors student, an undergraduate research assistant, a member of the fraternal conduct board, and a sister of Delta Zeta. In her free time, Nicholle enjoys reading, hiking, yoga, and meeting new dogs. When asked what her favorite aspect of Her Campus is, Nicholle replied "I love Her Campus because if has helped me learn to not only find my own voice, but to use it to connect with so many people I wouldn't have met otherwise." 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.