The Best Winter Skin Care Routine You Have to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

There are two things that don’t mix: cold weather and skin.

Our skin is most vulnerable during the winter, and so it’s not so good when the freezing weather chills us to our bones and negatively affects our skin. Because of this we need to work even harder during the chilly season to maintain our appearance.

But don’t worry — We’ve got you covered!

Here are 12 beauty tips you can use to make sure you’re looking on point from head to toe, regardless of the elements.

Moisturize Constantly

The cold weather dries your skin out, so you need to moisturize more frequently in the winter than the spring and the summer. Find an oil-based moisturizer instead of a water-based one, as oil creates a protective layer on your skin that locks in moisture. Vaseline is always a great choice to go for in skin moisturizing. A really great idea is to keep a small bottle of lotion in your purse so you can moisturize your hands anytime you need to!

Wear Gloves

If you’re already wearing gloves before you go outside, then good for you! But if you aren’t, then you need to. The cold weather will dry the skin on your hands on and lead to cracking, and you don’t want to hold your cutie’s hands with scaly skin!

Avoid Superhot Showers and Baths

There’s nothing I like better than a nice, steaming shower after a long day, especially a cold, long day! But believe it or not, this is the worst thing to do during the winter. The high heat coming from a shower of bath can break down lipid barriers in the skin, which causes skin to dry out. Instead, try taking a warm shower and rinsing and ending the shower with cold water. Also, keep those showers short! Showering too long can strip away the moisture in your skin, so try to not shower for longer than 10 minutes.

Use honey

To get rid of stubborn, dry patches on your elbows and knees, make a mix of honey and sugar and apply it the problem areas. This will hydrate and increase circulation in your skin.

Exfoliate Your Face

Exfoliators not only remove and prevent acne, but they also brighten your skin, preventing dryness. Make sure you keep up a consistent exfoliating routine, but don’t over-exfoliate, because that can easily dry your skin out. Exfoliating three or four times a week will do your skin wonders.

Don’t Forget About Your Feet

Before you go to bed, apply a thick moisturizer to your feet while they’re still slightly wet. Then, put on a pair of socks to wear overnight to lock in the moisture. You’ll start to see the changes if you do this every night.

Wear The Right Pajamas

Wear pajamas made of natural fabrics like cotton, especially if you have sensitive skin. Don’t wear PJ’s that combine cotton and synthetic fibers, as those can irritate the skin.

Brush Your Lips With A Toothbrush

Believe it or not, a toothbrush can remedy your chapped lips. Just use it to brush off the extra skin on your lips.

Use Chapstick

I’m the type of person that never steps out the front door without moisturizing their lips, and chapstick is always my go-to. Lip balm is another alternative!

Avoid Perfume

Fragrance can irriate your skin thanks to the alcohol contained in it, which can reduce your skin’s ability to retain moisture. Just ditch it until the weather begins to warm up again.

Drink Water

Plenty of H20 throughout the day keeps your skin looking bright and healthy, especially if you want that nice glow.

Follow these tips, and you’ll be sure to maintain your beautiful skin and keep it looking healthy during the winter months!

HCXO

Anna-Marie Hayward is a senior mass communications major at Winthrop University. She is passionate about journalism and wants to go into sports journalism as a career. Her favorite sports are football and basketball, and she is an avid fan of the WWE. She loves writing poetry on a variety of subjects, composing songs in a variety of genres, reading just about anything, exercising three times a week, and playing video games even when they make her rage. You can follow her on Twitter at @annabananatrees and on Instagram at annabanana_4ever. 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.