Wellness

5 Reasons Why You Should Become An Organ Donor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

9 months ago, my uncle was diagnosed with a liver disease.

Just this September, things took a turn for the worst. My uncle needed a liver ASAP to save his life. Thankfully, someone out there decided that when they passed away, they would donate their organs, and that wonderful, giving person saved my uncle’s life.

The liver became available, and the next day my uncle went into surgery. Without someone willing to donate their organs, my uncle would not be here today. Even though it happened recently, I thank that person every day for giving my uncle a second chance at life. 

When I filled out paperwork at the DMV for a license, there was an option to become an organ donor. My mother urged me to check the box saying “Yes” because I could save someone’s life. I knew it was important, but I never knew that I could be so thankful that someone else out in the world decided to check “Yes”, too and save someone’s life that I knew. 

After doing research, I learned there are so many important reasons to consider becoming an organ donor. 

1. First and foremost, you save lives. 

Not just one life. Up to 8. Studies also show that you can improve the life of up to 60 people and the eyesight of 2 people. ​

2. Every day, the organ transplant list continues to grow. 

According to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, where my uncle received his transplant, every ten minutes, someone is added to the National Donation Waiting List and an average of 115,000-118,000 are currently waiting on a donation. (Fun Fact: Emory is rated in the Top 12 hospitals in the country to have a transplant!)

3. People die every day waiting on their life-saving transplant.

Approximately 22 people daily or 8,000 people a year die waiting on a match. When an organ is donated, it not only has to be healthy but it has to be a match to the person needing the transplant. 

4. Organ donation, while sad, can be a positive and healing process.

While the organ donation ultimately means that, somewhere in the world, a loved one has died, it can be comforting to their family to know that their loved one is helping and saving lives, even after their own life has ended.

5. Organ donation is totally easy!

Like mentioned before, when registering for a Driver’s License, all you have to do is check a box consenting that your organs can be donated once you’ve passed away. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Organ Donor page here. Click on the state you currently live in and the process is easy, and free! 

Collegiettes, and fellow readers, I urge you to become a donor and save some lives of your own when your time comes. I am incredibly thankful that someone was able to save my uncle’s own life. For more information, visit the link above. 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.