5 Common Places You Don’t Think to Disinfect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As colder weather is approaching, so are the many different possibilities of getting sick. When it becomes cold, your immune system gets weaker. We want you to stay healthy, so here are five very germy places that you should disinfect weekly.

1. Your Sink Handles

Think about it: you touch your sink handles before you wash your hands, and then immediately after. They are crawling with the germs that were on your hands from before you washed!

2. Your Phone

If you’re anything like any millennial, you are always on your phone. You touch things like door handles, calculators and other people before going right back to your cell. It is covered in germs!

3. Your Keyboard

You’re on your computer every day, whether it’s to write a paper, read Her Campus or procrastinate by watching Netflix. Regardless of the reason, your keyboard is also a very germy place. Just wipe it down with a disinfectant wipe!

4. Your Dresser Handles

You touch your dresser handles every morning when you get dressed and possibly a few times throughout the day if you change clothes. Welcome to germ city!

5. Your Appliance Handles and Buttons

Think about it: you touch your refrigerator handle to grab some leftover pizza. Then, you touch the microwave handle and buttons to heat it up, and you touch the pizza as you are eating it! Think of the number of germs that spread onto your pizza–yuck! Disinfect these places at least twice a week, but it doesn’t hurt to do it more.

Of course, you should always disinfect other places like door handles, light switches, and remote controls weekly.

Bonus tip: Wash your hands after you touch the menu at a restaurant. Menus are crawling in germs!

Stay clean and healthy this winter, Collegiettes!

Ali Maclay is a biology major, chemistry minor, psychology minor, and honors student at Winthrop University. She is an aspiring Neuroscientist and hopes to work at St. Jude Children's Hospital. She is the Facebook Social Media Director for Her Campus Winthrop's Facebook page, and associate member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, and a member of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society at Winthrop. When she's not doing academic work, working at her job, or writing for HC, she's probably binge-watching Netflix, dreaming on Pinterest, stress cleaning, or eating ice cream.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.