3 Apps That Will Change The Way You Text

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Sometimes, it’s hard to depict what you’re really feeling over text. My all–caps HAHAHA’s don’t cut it anymore, and the newest Emoji update has already gotten old. My friends can’t truly see how excited I am about going out that night, or about how #annoyed I am with my classes. But, with these 3 apps from the iTunes store, everything is better.

Finally, there’s a way to spice up texting!

1. Expresser Keyboard

This like a Bighead for your phone! The pictures on the app make it so easy to make your friends LOL over text, and in real life. Each image available to send is a cutout photo of a face of an iconic movie star, Internet sensations and memes, or viral Vine personalities and their expressions are priceless. The best part about this app is that you can enable it to work with your keyboard just like Emoji’s so you can quickly send a witty response!

“Pictures are worth a thousand words…real-life facial expressions are worth a million!”–Expresser Keyboard

2. GIF Keyboard

This is probably my most used app on my phone–other than Instagram of course—and that’s saying a lot. GIFs in text messages are like Emoji’s on steroids, they’re awesome, hilarious and really show what you’re trying to say. There’s a simple search bar where you can look up tags to find the right GIF for the right moment, and when I say you can find any GIF for any moment, I mean that you can find any GIF for any moment!

Search in Donald Trump riding a horse (or whatever your heart desires!) and paste it in easily and make your friends double over with laughter and awe with your ability to put some flavor into the messages. This app also allows for full access and lets you hook it up as a keyboard and let you organize your favorite GIFs into folders!

“It’s perfect for all those times you wanted to express just how much you love pizza, annoy your friends with that one lyric you just cant stop singing, and tell your crush that cuddling should be in your future.”–GIF Keyboard

3. Bitmoji

I had seen this app everywhere and was so confused on how people were doing it! And then, one of my friends brought me out of the dark and showed me what it really was! I fell absolutely in love with it and my conversations over text did too! It’s a hilarious way to text and talk to your friends, and it’s also a very personal way to text.

Once you download the app, you get to create your own avatar and make him/her look however you want them to, right down to the eyelashes. Then, your little mini-me avatar character is placed in cute and funny photos with captions, like, “Wanna hang out!” and you can so easily paste the pictures into your texts and send them to your friends! So, it’s almost like you’re talking face-to-face with your friends, but via text and via Bitmoji!

This is another app that allows you to access it right from the keyboard too so it’s speedy and efficient!

“Bitmoji is your own personal Emoji—that you can use right from your keyboard! Choose an expressive cartoon avatar, choose from a growing library of moods and stickers—featuring YOU!”–Bitmoji 

So, go make some room on your phones (because who really ever has room on their phones these days?!) and download these apps! They’re so hilarious and fun and truly do make texting a little something more!

TTYL, Collegiettes! 

Follow Emily on Instagram! 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy