10 Tricks To Get Yourself Up In The Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

When your alarm clock goes off bright and on early Monday morning, you can’t do help but groan. You hit the snooze button once, twice, maybe even three times before snuggling deeper under the covers and saying to yourself, “Maybe I’ll skip class today…”

If this sounds like you and you’re having trouble forcing yourself out of bed, then follow these 10 tricks to get yourself up and moving in the morning!

1. Exercise 

Studies show that physical activity improves overall quality of sleep, so developing a consistent exercise schedule throughout the week will help with getting more restful sleep and waking up each day with a smile on your face.

2. Nap sparingly

Napping in the evening or for too long can mess up your sleep schedule and prevent you from sleeping at night, which tends to cause grogginess in the morning. It’s a hard habit to break and a bad cycle to get into, so do your best to avoid napping. If you must nap, then limit yourself to only a 20 minute power nap. It feels the same as a 3-hour nap, but is healthier for you and your sleep schedule! 

3. Pick out your clothes the night before

By laying your clothes out the night before, it gives you one less thing to worry about in the morning. Plus, you’re more likely to pick out cuter outfits than when you get up in the morning and throw on a random hoodie and a pair of sweatpants because you’re cold and tired. 

4. Eat and drink well

Don’t drink any caffeinated drinks the night before, because just like naps it cuts into your nightly sleep routine. Also try and avoid sugary snacks like chocolate because it spikes your blood sugar and makes it difficult for you to get a restful sleep.

5. Put the phone down

When you go to bed, go to bed! Don’t sit in bed checking your Twitter feed or texting people or stalking the Instagram newsfeed. Fall asleep as quickly as you can so you can wake up refreshed the next morning.

6. Keep a consistent sleep schedule 

It’s definitely hard to do as a busy college student, but try to go to bed at roughly the same time every night. Do your best not to change it up too often. 

7. Move your alarm clock or phone 

It’s a lot easier to turn the alarm off when it’s right next to you. So, put your alarm clock or phone across the room and away from your bed before you crawl beneath the covers at night so you’ll physically have to get out of bed to turn it off in the morning.

8. Cover Up

Keep a robe by your bed so you can easily put on it to warm yourself up once you do finally wake up!

9. Motivate yourself

When the alarm clock goes off, think about all the things you want to accomplish that day and use that to inspire yourself out of bed. Remind yourself how great of a day it’s going to be!

10. Develop a morning ritual

When you wake up in the morning, take a deep breath and stretch your arms. Do everything you can to get your body moving.

Try these tricks to make your mornings a little less troublesome, and you will thank yourself!

Anna-Marie Hayward is a senior mass communications major at Winthrop University. She is passionate about journalism and wants to go into sports journalism as a career. Her favorite sports are football and basketball, and she is an avid fan of the WWE. She loves writing poetry on a variety of subjects, composing songs in a variety of genres, reading just about anything, exercising three times a week, and playing video games even when they make her rage. You can follow her on Twitter at @annabananatrees and on Instagram at annabanana_4ever. 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.