Why Being an Adult Sucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I’m less than a month away from graduation, and though I’d like to say I have everything figured out, I definitely do not. I know where I’m moving to and have a few job applications in, but that’s about it. So for those of you who, like I was, are in a rush to grow up, here are some reasons why you shouldn’t be in a rush, because being an adult actually sucks.

1. You have to find a job that pays well enough for you to essentially support yourself. And it’s not as easy as it sounds, because pretty much every job posting I come across requires a gazillion years of experience. Not ideal for a fresh graduate. 

2. Tying in with the money thing, you have to pay rent. No more mooching off of Mom & Dad’s house/electricity/food/etc. And rent is expensive in big cities.

3. You’re now in charge of calling people & making your own appointments. This generation is screwed if they’re anything like me (a.k.a. terrified to talk on the phone).

4. You actually have responsibilities. Even though you’d love to sit around and read or watch Netflix or do something else unproductive, there’s always going to be something that needs to be done around the house.

5. You realize how much everyday life knowledge you don’t know. Like how to do your taxes. That wasn’t important enough to learn in high school, apparently. (No shame if you still call your mom with random life questions. I definitely do.)

6. You’re expected to act mature and be self-sufficient (but it’s okay if you still act like a child sometimes. Peter Pan says to never grow up!).

7. There are so many things you don’t realize you need to pay for. Let’s see . . . there’s insurance (health, car, and maybe home), tuition payments, emergencies . . .

8. No more summers off, unless you’re going to school to be a teacher. I am not.

9. You’re now expected to bring a food or drink contribution to family gatherings; you’re not just lumped in with your parents anymore.

10. You’re aware of how awful the real world is. People suck, and you can’t go back to the innocence you had as a child.

It’s not like my life will suddenly suck once I graduate, but there will definitely be a lot of changes. So soak up the help from your parents while you get it and don’t wish away your college years. Trust me; they’ll be over before you know it!

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski