nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What an Anxiety Attack is Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Anxiety while you are in college is quite inevitable; it’s something that most students deal with during their everyday life. What if you came into college, though, with Generalized Anxiety Disorder? I have had this since I was eight years old and it has been something I have been trying to manage for as long as I can remember. I’m not saying that when you get anxiety in college it’s nothing like having it your whole life because I definitely don’t believe that.

Most people believe that all panic attacks are the same and they deal with people not being able to breathe and having to use a paper bag or just needing some time to be by themselves. But that is far from the truth. People experience anxiety attacks in many different ways.

My anxiety attacks are silent and more than half the time I need to be around people in order to get through it. I hate feeling like I’m so dependent on other people because I want to show people that I can be independent. I have never had a problem with not being able to breathe; my problem is that I can’t stop crying and it’s completely uncontrollable. Like most people, I hate feeling like I am not in control of my own actions and like I can’t do anything right in that moment.

What I have learned from my anxiety attacks, however, is that I have so many people in my corner that are willing to help me no matter what. I may seem out of control and crazy sometimes but my friends know that I don’t try to do it and anxiety is not something I want to have.

I may not like them, and they may not be how other people have anxiety attacks, but I have learned to love myself despite them. I know anxiety attacks are awful and most people wish they didn’t exist, but remember that you have people who will help you get through them no matter what.

Meet our writer Alyson Rhoades! Originally from Golden Valley, MN and a graduate of Armstrong High School, Alyson is majoing in Mass Communication Advertising. You can usually catch Alyson belting out songs in her car or getting her coffee fix at Caribou Coffee. She is an avid photographer and believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every year she does the walk for Alzheimers hoping one day to find a cure for an awful disease. She loves to travel and hopes to one day to travel to countries outside of the U.S. Her ideal place to go on vacation is the beach in Florida, which she gets to do every year during Thanksgiving break. Alyson hopes to continue to work hard to be the change she wishes to see in the world as she pursues a career as a Creative Director within the advertising world.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.