harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Sharing is Caring: A How-to Guide About the Importance of Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As soon as October started, I could feel it. Like most college students, October is one of the busiest months for me. Trying to stay on top of my classes, maintain a social life, have a job and find time to be in clubs can be very difficult. I find myself constantly being spread way too thin and not having time to focus on just me. Self-care is sometimes overlooked when it shouldn’t be. Self care should be prioritized. There are many different ways to care for oneself and some ways work better for other people. Here are the top five ways that work best for me. 

1. Take a nap.

As simple as this sounds, taking a nap is one of the best ways I have found to be able to turn my entire day around. Taking a nap is a great way to rejuvenate and start anything fresh. It also just relaxes your entire body. The only downfall to taking a nap is that you will get nothing done during that time, and sometimes you wake up more tired. 

1. Go to the gym.

This one is not the easiest for most people, but when I am having a bad day and just not feeling like anything is going my way, I go to the gym and work out. By then end of my workout, I feel completely different and am no longer focused on all the negative. I have a completely different outlook and feel motivated to take on the rest of my day. As cheesy as it is, endorphins do make you happy. 

1. Drink some coffee.

As an avid coffee drinker, I rely heavily on drinking as much coffee as I possibly can. But sometimes, it tastes so much better when someone makes it for you. There is nothing better than a fall afternoon in a coffee shop. While you are at it, invite a friend to join you and catch up with them. 

1. Take a bubble bath. 

Light some candles and fill the tub with bubbles and enjoy the warmth of your tub. I personally am not the biggest fan of bath bombs, but definitely use them if you are. Stepping into a bathtub after a long day is one of my greatest pleasures and I can feel the tension leaving my body as the water hits. And hey, if you are 21+, crack open a bottle of wine and indulge. 

1. Call your family. 

Sometimes we as college students get so wrapped up in all the things we have going on that we forget to always call our parents. I know when I am struggling, my mom always helps put things in perspective. But not only that, allowing yourself to step away from your busy life and talking to your family about what they are up to always makes me feel better and makes me realize I miss them and need to call them more. They have just as busy of a life and want to hear from you too. 

Although they might not be the best tips for everyone, they are the best for me. Self-Care should be prioritized for everyone, not just students. Self-Care can be the simplest to the most extravagant thing. Make sure to find what works best for you and do it whenever things seem a little tense. 

Communication Arts and Literature Teaching major
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!