Self-Care through Screen Time: 5 Relaxing Shows to Watch & Unwind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As a college student, stress is a very common word in my vocabulary. Whether it’s due to the piles of homework or petty friend drama, stressful situations seem to pop up no matter what. When you need a break from the chaos, I recommend watching any of these shows. 

1. Hyori’s Bed and Breakfast

Available on Netflix, this show is my favorite feel-good series. Although it isn’t in English, put the subtitles on and the show will relax you within seconds. The show features  famous couple from Japan, Hyori and Lee, as they open up their home to fans as a Bed and Breakfast. They live on an island on a ranch with many dogs and many cats that are often featured as well. This show is wholesome as f*ck and a must-watch to unwind.  

2. Queer Eye

Let me first say that if you haven’t watched this show, you are missing out. Watching five gay guys give makeovers to all kinds of people is incredibly entertaining and wholesome. The popular Netflix original features the “Fab Five,” who each have different tasks when making over someone. These five fabulous men are amazing people with such big hearts and sparkling personalities. I guarantee you will fall in love with all of them. I will warn you, though: this show is a tear-jerker, so have some Kleenex on hand because you will cry happy tears.  

3. The Great British Baking Show

Also available on Netflix, The Great British Baking Show is a competition baking show that takes place in the UK. There are many competition baking and cooking shows out there, but none are as pleasant to watch as this one. In this show, the contestants are all home bakers rather than professionals. All of the bakers throughout a season become almost like a family, which is precious in itself. It’s also common for other bakers to help someone out in finishing their creation. The pure kindness of all the contests makes this show very calming to watch. 

4. Adventure Time

As a kid, you may have watched this show on Cartoon Network. The show focuses on Jake and Fin and all of their crazy adventures day-to-day. With fun colorful characters and worlds, this show really makes you feel like a kid again. 

5. We Bare Bears

Even though this show looks like it’s made for children, it is a show I think people of all ages can watch. The cartoon revolves around the lives of three bears who grew up together and made themselves a home. Not only is this show insanely adorable, but also it’s quite funny. This is one of my favorite shows to watch when I’m stressed and when I’m feeling down. You can find it on Hulu and Netflix.

Add these five shows to your list to enjoy the self-care you deserve! 

Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Grace Jacobs

Winona '22

Grace Jacobs is a freshman at Winona State majoring in Elementary Education with an emphasis on Early Childhood. She has worked with kids since she was a kid herself and loves every moment of it. She is from Elk River (which many people haven’t heard of) and was on the speech team there for a couple years and was very excited when she made it to State. This is her first year in Her Campus, and she is very excited to pour her heart into articles on such a great platform. She enjoys painting, writing, hammocking, and hanging out with her friends.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.