Game On: Mobile App Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Finding a new game app to play on your phone and then getting your friends to play it felt like a huge accomplishment. Or maybe it was the other way around where everyone else was playing a game so you felt you had to get in on the action.

Let me take you back and remind you of some of the biggest game apps that we were all no-shame obsessed with:

Trivia Crack

I remember everyone had their phones out during passing time in high school playing this game. It was a game where you played against friends and had to answer random trivia in six categories to see who was the smartest of the two. I remember even getting my dad to play and he would always beat me (though I did get a few wins against him).

2048

This puzzle game was a game to play when you wanted to waste some time, but also wanted to see if you could FINALLY get the 2048 tile and impress your friends. Everyone would be playing this in the cafeteria and would see who could get the largest tile number in the short lunch period.

Flappy Bird

Who doesn’t remember this app?! It was such a huge game that people became literally obsessed with it. It even caused such big problems that the makers of the game had to take it out of the app store.  

Draw Something

Trying to make everyone into some form of an artist, this game was basically an electronic Pictionary. I remember when my aunt introduced me to this game and I would constantly play it with her. I even got my friends to play.

Pokémon GO

I never played this game, but my brother, along with many, many other people, were obsessed with it. I remember when I would be driving to the store, he would be playing it in the passenger seat and he wanted me to go a certain way so he could capture whatever it was. Though this game has lost most of its popularity, it still has a following.

Temple Run

Who  could forget about temple run?! I remember fighting with my brother to play it on his iPod touch. It was the game to play when you wanted to be Indiana Jones trying to find the secret treasure (or was that just me?). This game is one of the staples of my early teen years.

I hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory road with the games that everyone used to be obsessed with, whether you played the game or not. Who knows, maybe you will end up re-downloading one of theses treasures; or at least the apps that are still available in the App store. ;)

Meet Linsey Taylor, one of the campus correspondents for the Winona State Her Campus chapter. Linsey is a senior majoring in Therapeutic Recreation with a minor in psychology and hopes to become a child life specialist with her degree. In her free time, Linsey enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends and family.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.