Common New Year’s Resolutions & How to Stick to Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

January marks the beginning of the new year, as does making New Year’s resolutions. Despite our annual attempts of positive thinking about changing life perspectives, the unfortunate truth is that most resolutions don’t make it past February. 

But I’m here to make sure that doesn’t happen to you. Here are some of the most common New Year’s resolutions and how to keep up with them throughout the year. 

Exercise More / Lose Weight 

Exercising more is the most common resolution made. Data shows increases in gym memberships from the months of January through March. A lot of us start the year off strong, but other matters such as time commitment, cost and lack of motivation usually get in the way. 

Save Money 

Saving money and spending less often starts off great; but without a plan, neither usually makes it very far into the year. 

Read More

Reading more is always a fun way to pass time, and some people genuinely enjoy it. However, the reason it’s often not kept up with is because of the time commitment. 

Pick Up a New Hobby

Picking up new hobbies is similar to reading more: it’s fun in the beginning, but with the required time commitment, it often gets pushed to the bottom on the list of priorities. 

Once your New Year’s resolutions are made, the tough part comes: sticking with them. Here are a few tips that might help!

Mentally Prepare for Them

Breaking bad habits is mentally difficult. Before jumping into it cold turkey, try taking smaller steps. It’s important to stay positive and to allow errors to happen. 

Be Specific

Crafting resolutions that are smaller and more specific makes them easier to stick with. Broader resolutions allow room in your brain to make exceptions, which allows procrastination. To avoid this, write out your resolutions as S.M.A.R.T goals

Write Them Down

Writing down your resolutions helps you clarify what it is you want to achieve. It forces you to be precise with your words and take action. 

Share Them with Others

Just like writing them down, sharing your resolutions with others will help keep you accountable as friends and family members can motivate you when you need it and praise you on the progress you make along the way. 

Set Reminders

Setting reminders on your phone or putting sticky notes around the house can help you better remember your resolutions because it’ll keep you on track.  

With these common resolutions and helpful tips, make it a goal to keep your New Year’s resolutions alive! 

Cover, 1, 2, 3

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

Lena Zarate

Winona '22

Lena is in her third year at Winona state University, and she's majoring in social work and minoring in criminal justice and ethnic studies. She hopes to get her master’s degree in social work and hopes to work with at risk youth and juvenile delinquents. In her free time she enjoys watching Netflix, playing rugby, watching true crime, volunteering, and listening to music.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.