A Rare Diamond: Reviewing “Bridgerton” Season Two

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Like many other fans of the hit show Bridgerton, I’ve spent the last few weeks watching season two of the popular show. Since then, I’ve been digesting what I’ve watched and formulating my thoughts for this very review.

I’d like to preface this by saying that I have not read the books, so I’m not sure how closely the show follows the book’s plot. One of my favorite romance BookTubers, PeaceLoveBooksxo, included a comparison between the books and the show in her review of the most recent season.

I would also start by saying there are some spoilers in here from season one, and also a few from season two. If you haven’t watched the show, I would highly recommend it.

The second season of Bridgerton loosely follows the plot of the second book, The Viscount Who Loved Me. In season one, Anthony was secretly seeing an opera singer whom he loved, but they broke up messily. The following year, Anthony swears off love and is determined to find a woman suitable to be a viscountess.

In the first episode, Anthony deems himself an eligible bachelor and rigorously interviews the women of the Ton, finding none of them suitable to be his match. However, no one expects the Sharma family to return to London. 

Kate, the eldest Sharma sister, accidentally meets Anthony while horseback riding in the park. The two instantly hate each other. Kate and Edwina, Kate’s younger half-sister, attend balls and events each day in hopes of finding Edwina a love match. After the incident in the forest, Kate tries to prevent her sister from being involved with the viscount, but Edwina is drawn to him, and he to her.

However, as the two families begin to spend more time together, Anthony and Kate find it harder and harder to ignore their attraction to one another. Nonetheless, Kate is intent on suppressing her feelings in order for her sister to find the love and happiness she deserves.

As you can imagine, things grow quite messy, as relations on the Ton are bound to do.

After watching the first episode, I was sure I would hate this season. I loved season one and was absolutely swept away by Daphne and Simon’s romance, so I wasn’t sure how it was going to be topped.

I persisted through the show, and was pleasantly surprised to find the characters growing on me. I found Kate to be a bit insufferable at first, but I admired how she wanted nothing but the best for her sister, even if it meant hiding her real intentions.

One of the main issues I had with the shows was the hot-and-cold nature of Edwina’s character. In the first few episodes, she’s practically spineless as she follows Kate’s every direction. Once she begins to understand what is happening between Anthony and Kate, she finally stands up for herself. Her spinelessness to strength seemed a bit sudden and I didn’t really understand where it came from. I would have loved to see her grow gradually more confident in herself and more independent.

I was glad to see Daphne back and really enjoyed the new role she played in her family as a newlywed. Although she is younger than Anthony, she was able to reason with him and urge him to follow his heart. He may not have taken her advice right away, but I have no doubt that her influence helped him understand his own heart.

I would have loved to see more between Daphne and Simon, but apparently Regé-Jean Page, the actor who plays Simon, did not want to return for another season.

Aside from Kate, Edwina, and Anthony’s situation, there is much more at stake in other places around the Ton.

At the end of season one, the identity of Lady Whistledown is revealed to be none other than *spolier alert* Penn Featherington.

Lady Whistledown has gone quiet since the last season on the Ton, but has started writing once again to urge the Queen to select the season’s diamond. The Queen is outraged and claims that she will not be controlled by a closeted gossiper, but ultimately crowns Edwina Sharma as the diamond, making her the perfect prospect for Anthony.

Each day, Penn struggles to keep her identity hidden. Eloise, the second Bridgerton daughter, is once again bound and determined to uncover Lady Whistledown’s identity. Although she is entering her first eligible season, Eloise is much more interested in Whistledown’s mystery and more academic pursuits.

As she looks to uncover the mystery, Eloise goes into poorer regions of town to find Lady Whistledown’s printer. There, she meets Theo, who is interested in many of the same things as Eloise. Together, they spend time trying to reveal Whistledown’s identity and also grow to become friends, and perhaps something more.

The Featherington family is also looking to recover from the loss of their father, Lord Featherington. Left with no Lord and no money, Lady Featherington hopes the arrival of the newest Lord Featherington from the Americas will bring great fortune.

When the newest Lord Featherington comes to the Ton, him and Lady Featherington immediately clash. He declares himself an eligible bachelor and begins to pursue Cressida Cowper. Lady Featherington is outraged and ropes him into a scandal, claiming her middle daughter has been defiled by him and they must marry. He reveals that he was pursuing Cressida for money because they have none; it seems the Featherington’s fortune is gone for good.

Between all of these different story lines, Bridgerton season two was quite enjoyable. Although I was hesitant in the beginning, I ended up loving Anthony and Kate’s forbidden romance.

And to top it all off, the music covers were once again absolutely beautiful. If you’ve dreamt of hearing “What About Us,” “Wrecking Ball,” “Material Girl,” and “Sign of the Times” played on string instruments, then you’re in luck.

The drama in the Ton truly sucked me in once again, and I, along with many other viewers, am sitting on the edge on my seat awaiting season three.

Brianna Strohbehn is a junior at Winona State University and a small-town girl from central Iowa. Brianna is studying English, double majoring in writing and applied and professional writing with hopes of someday becoming an editor at a publishing firm. When she isn't writing, Brianna enjoys thrifting, reading, exploring her new home in Winona, and spending time with family and friends.