13 Things All Runners Can Relate To As Told by 13 GIFs Everyone Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Whether you’re a dedicated daily runner, an on-occasion runner, or even a hater of running, you will be able to relate to at least one of these things all runners understand.  

1. “Do you wanna keep going?” “I’m good with whatever!”

SOMEBODY JUST PICK SOMETHING! Every runner who has ever run with someone else understands this struggle: the constant battle of running forever and ever because nobody makes a decision.

2. Running shoes.

Running shoes are the ugliest shoes ever created. Asics, Brooks, Mizuno, you name it and I probably have a pair or two in my closet. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like every time I buy a new pair of running shoes, they always pull out the ugliest and brightest-colored shoes they could possibly find in the back room. But no matter how ugly they are… every runner will protect their new shoes with their life.

3. Music while running.

That one song from your playlist comes on and before you know it, you’re Beyonce and you’re literally and figuratively running the world. Nothing can stop you.    

4. Running in the rain – love it.

There is nothing better than running in the rain; nobody can change my mind on that. Nothing is more motivational than running uphill through thick rain. I feel like I am the image of all runners everywhere.

5. “I’m good with whatever!”

This phrase is the equivalent to “I’m fine” in the real world. Nobody ever actually means they are good with whatever; everyone always wants to be done with the run.

6. Carbs and Chocolate Milk.

The strict diet of a runner consists of immense amounts of pasta and even more chocolate milk to wash it down.   

7. Having an insane number of t-shirts.

If you’re a runner, you have an overabundance of t-shirts falling out of your closet. From meet shirts to yearly apparel, you have more shirts than you ever want to admit. Yet, you still probably run shirtless.    

8. Casually picking up the speed when you’re running by a cute boy.

We all have to admit we’ve done this once or twice (or maybe all the time). I swear it just happens naturally! You’ll be running along when all of a sudden you see a cute boy and your form magically gets a little better, you pick up your knees a little higher and before you know it, you’re going just a little faster.

9. People calling you crazy for liking to run.

The number of people who say, “You ran how far!?” “You like running!?” “OMG I wish I had the motivation you do” . . . the list goes on and on. Don’t you worry though, runners feel the same way. (We’re so much lazier than you think.)

10. Hating running.

I truly believe all runners have a love-hate relationship with running. Before the run starts, you’re filled with dread. During the run, you regret all your decisions. After running, you feel like the image of health!!!

11. Seeing other runners going faster and telling yourself they aren’t going as far.

This is probably 90% of what’s running through my mind during runs. If I see anyone else running and they are going faster than me, my immediate reaction is that they have to be going far fewer miles than I am.  

12. Seeing a fellow runner out on a run and knowing you’re instant bffs.

Any time I pass another runner, I feel like we have this immediate connection and we both know deep down we are each other’s soulmates. It’s probably just me but whatever.  

13. Runner’s High.

It is REAL! It’s scientifically proven that during exercise the brain releases endorphins which trigger a happy feeling and leave you in a good mood.    

Whether you’re running to the fridge or running marathons, this list should have at least one of these 13 things all runners will understand and make you laugh (or maybe just slightly chuckle under your breath). If you’re not a runner, hopefully this post will encourage you to start running because I promise it is worth it for the pasta, chocolate milk, and the runner’s high you get after a good run.   

I love adventures in my canoe, reading, painting, running and exploring! 
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.