stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sleep: What We All Want And How To Get More Of It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Sleep.  Sleep is a thing I’ve come to know and love in college, or rather wish I knew… Sleep is a thing so precious to behold in an environment where most people are striving to survive off of four hours a night and three plus cups of coffee a day.  Personally, I have found that I do not function well with less than seven hours, but there are those that need nine plus hours a night or can manage consistently on five.

Ways to Get More Sleep:

• Decide ahead of time what time you are going to bed: this will force you to be more productive if you give yourself a deadline, as well as make you put down that book for tomorrow, because what you’re working on at 1 or 2 am is probably not going to be as good as getting a good night’s rest a picking it up the next day

• Naps: I, myself, find it difficult to decide whether I like the idea of naps.  They can either be huge time sucks or just what you need to make yourself more efficient.

No matter where you are fitting in your sleep, a lot of us don’t have the time to lay in bed uselessly until we fall asleep.  Don’t you just hate those nights where you’re staring at the ceiling wishing yourself to sleep?  Here are a few ways to fall asleep faster:

• Don’t look at screens an hour before bedtime: the bright screen increases brain activity and makes it harder to fall asleep.

• Find your ideal temperature: it is easiest to fall asleep.

• Drink a glass of water (or if you prefer, warm milk): your mom didn’t make warm milk for you when you were younger for no reason! Water or warm milk is soothing at bedtime.

• Block out any light/noise: when you sleep, any light or noise can be distracting and won’t allow for as quality of sleep.

• Create a routine: doing the same nightly routine/bedtime prep will allow your body to get ready for bed.

• Do yoga: stretching is another way to get your body to relax and help you fall asleep faster.

Sleep is vital for your health and to help you perform at your best. Don’t let school, socializing, or whatever else you’re doing get in the way of that.

Tip: sleep = happiness

Natalie is a first-year at Williams College. She is on the varsity volleyball team and considering majoring in chemistry or biology as she pursues the Pre-Med track. She enjoys hiking and skiing in her free time.
Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.