This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

As I’m writing this, I am eagerly packing up my suitcase and bags, unable to sit still because I get to go home and sleep in my actual bed tonight—and see my family of course. It’s times like these that I can’t imagine how it must feel to be away from family with the desire to go home but can’t. 

Feeling homesick during the holidays and breaks hurts even more than normally missing home. And because there are no classes, staying away from home on break seems more boring than ever. Hopefully, these tips will help you feel better, as well as pass the time in ways you’ve never thought of before.

1. Reach Out

Even when you’re not missing home, it’s incredibly important to reach out to your loved ones to

remind them you’re there and remind yourself that you have people in your corner. Losing that

physical proximity can help you feel more distant, both physically and emotionally, which increases that feeling of loneliness. Call your family, those relatives you haven’t spoken to since the last family gathering, those high school friends you swore you’d keep in touch with in college… We have so many platforms that help people connect to each other virtually, so let’s use them!

2. Entertainment

This one probably goes without saying: go do something fun! See what’s new on Netflix (or what’s leaving from Netflix); go watch that show that always shows up on your TikTok For You page. Pick up that old book you have lying around that you said you would finish. Maybe you started scrolling on YouTube and found a cookie recipe video, and now you’re becoming a professional baker during your off time. There are so many things you can do, it’s just a matter of what is going to capture your attention. And hopefully, whatever it is you end up doing or learning makes you feel more at peace.

3. Explore Your Campus

It’s so easy to hide your head behind your textbooks and problem sets that sometimes you forget to look up and see what’s around you right now. You may be in the middle of a city, a small town, or in the middle of nowhere. Wherever you may be, look around and explore a little! Go into buildings you’ve walked by but never entered—you didn’t have a reason to before, but now you do. Maybe you’ll discover a new coffee place that has the best cakes, or find a new study spot that no one else knows exists. Invite your friends, too. Who knows, maybe you’ll bump into interesting people on your voyage.

3. Self-Care

Do a face mask. Fix your nails. Put some music in the background as you fold your clothes—maybe even do laundry? Get a workout in to let those endorphins out. Or maybe you’d rather do some relaxing yoga and meditate afterward. Self-care is different for everyone, so do whatever it is that makes you relax. If you enjoy cooking, make that meal that reminds you of home—wherever that may be for you. Self-care doesn’t require a lot of effort, it could just be taking a nap! Another activity I like to do is journaling, which helps you get your thoughts down as well as find gratitude in your life.

4. Make New Plans

It sucks not to be with family now, but it won’t suck as much if you know you’re going to be able to go home in the future. For example, there’s a sense of uncertainty that gets resolved when you plan to go home at the end of the semester. If this is not doable, maybe you can invite your friends from other colleges to come visit when they’re on break! Or, make plans with your friends who are planning to stay on campus, too. Drive around, take a train to another city, or stay close to campus.

As long as you have something to look forward to, that is all that matters. Regardless of whether you are staying on campus and going home during the break, I hope you enjoy your time off! Take the time to destress and do what you feel needs to be done in order to feel good.

MingXi Chau

Williams '26

Hi! I’m from New York and my favorite hobby is baking. Love trying new foods and trying new cookie recipes.