This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

TW: Discussing food and relationships with food.

We are wasting our lives day by day consumed by thoughts of food and weight to meet societal ideals. It is so draining and unhealthy and I don’t know about you, but I for one am DONE.

This summer I started tracking my calories. I was limiting myself to a static number that told me what I could and could not eat in a day. If I ever went over my calorie intake for the day, I would feel like I failed. I did this for a full month just to try it out and by the fourth week, food was all that I thought about. I knew I had to stop because I was so obsessed with how many calories were in every food I was eating. Since throwing that shitty approach in the trash, I have been eating anything and everything I want and my overall mood has completely shifted. I have lived so much happier and have not let food determine my happiness. We only have one life to live and I don’t know about you, but I do not want to waste it by thinking about what I can and cannot eat all the time.

Society and social media have completely skewed our views on what the ideal body type for women in the 21st century should look like. Truth is, as we all know, there is no ideal body type. We know this to be true, yet it still does not fully register in our heads because this toxic view has been drilled in our brains for so long. When all you see on social media is 0-2 sized women, you begin to believe that’s the only true form that a woman is beautiful in. That is so far from the truth. We must start training our brains to get out of this toxic thought process and notice the beauty in ourselves just like we see in others.

I know there has been a push in the past few years that everybody is beautiful. However, if we don’t take the time to stop and fully understand that everybody truly is uniquely beautiful then we will never be able to get past this toxic mindset. This is the same toxic mindset that tells us to workout longer and the same toxic mindset that consumes so much of our thoughts day in and day out. This mindset is so far from healthy and we have got to stop fueling this fire. These so-called “flaws” that the media portrays to be negative are some of the best assets a woman can own. Rolls and hip dips are uniquely beautiful and stretch marks and long torsos should be celebrated. These are not “flaws” that should be hidden, these are our powers that should be seen and appreciated.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for healthy living, but we need to make sure we are doing it for the right reasons. Our goal should be to feel healthy and strong and to improve our overall wellbeing, not to fit into some cookie-cutter shape that society tells us we have to look like. We do not HAVE to look like anyone but ourselves. We need to start being grateful for our bodies and what they have done for us, where they have taken us and what they have helped us get through. No matter what size or shape your body is, it is helping you live your life. We have to be grateful for that. We have to stop being so negative to ourselves every time we look in the mirror. Instead of seeing different sections on your body that you can manipulate to change into the ideal woman, appreciate the beautiful body that you have. Your unique body shape is what makes you, you!

I know you have heard many preach these words a million times and trust me I have too. But I, at the age of 20 years old, have just started to listen. I can tell you truthfully now, it feels so good to not be thinking about my body and food all the time. I don’t hate my weight and I don’t hate my body and neither should you. Your weight does not define who you are as a person. Please, stop focusing on changing your “imperfections.” Move your focus to loving and embracing your unique body and owning what you’ve got. I have barely scratched the surface on learning how to love your body, but I just need you to know life is too short to care about numbers on the scale. Food is too good to not be eaten and enjoyed. Let’s stop trying to fit into what society tells us is beautiful and make our own kind of beautiful by owning our bodies.

Maya Allen

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Maya is a third-year communications major and global studies minor. Her passions include traveling, helping others, staying active, cooking and Harry Styles.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!