bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why You Should Try Organic Tampons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Periods are a fact of life, and with them come nauseating side effects and a week of feeling dull and achy. It’s not always easy to minimize the pain or subdue the cramps, but certain products can help rather than hurt your health during the hellish week.

Organic methods to combat period pain are important. Menstruation is a normal part of our bodies, so it makes sense to deal with the cycle naturally using products that are free of toxins that can harm us in the long run. Organic tampons are not particularly well known, but the benefits are huge.

Organic cotton tampons may lower the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)

Organic tampons are free of synthetic elements and potentially-harmful ingredients, so they have a lower risk of TSS. Every girl has probably heard of the risk of TSS, the life-threatening complication of bacterial infections. When using any tampons, it is important to be cautious of TSS, but it is comforting to know that the risk is potentially lessened.

Organic cotton tampons are biodegradable

Organic tampons aren’t just good for your body, they’re good for the earth too! Organic tampons can be fully broken down, reducing waste which in turn helps our planet. Organic tampons are free of toxic ingredients such as pesticides, herbicides, bleaches and disinfectants. When traditional tampons are disposed of, these chemicals within their fibers get released into the environment. 100 percent organic tampons, on the other hand, can be composted, saving our environment from the extra waste.

It’s unknown what is in conventional tampons

When it comes to tampons, manufacturers do not have to disclose the materials used. This is quite concerning, considering how tampons are literally inserted into our bodies. What we do know is that organic tampons do not contain dioxins, which are highly toxic compounds found in conventional tampons.

Organic tampons are better for animals

Organic cotton farming does not use harmful pesticides, leaving birds and insects protected. Conventional farming is notorious for its harmful use of insecticides, which has led to a huge decline in wildlife.

Our bodies, planet and wildlife can be improved upon with the use of organic tampons. Even patients with endometriosis have reported fewer symptoms of inflammation when switching to organic tampons. Organic tampons tend to be on the pricier side, but it wouldn’t hurt to give them a try. So whether you’re a fan of traditional tampons or pads, consider the switch in the name of natural feminine hygiene.

Mary Shanahan

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Mary is a fourth-year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her