bullet journal spread
bullet journal spread
Anumeha Rajvanshi

Why Bulleting Journaling is My Favourite Self-Care Activity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When the pandemic started in March of 2020, I was stressed just like the rest of the world. I knew that I wanted to explore self-care options and find what worked for me. For months I struggled to find a self-care activity that I enjoyed, regardless of how many times I did it. After six months of searching for an activity, I gave up. I thought it was hopeless and that I would be stuck playing The Sims 4 over and over again.

This past summer, I found myself scrolling on TikTok and I came across a video that I found interesting. The video was of a girl who was explaining her day through the use of a bullet journal. I’d never heard of a bullet journal, but I have a slight obsession with notebooks and journals, so I was intrigued.

Bullet journaling is quite simple. The journal itself is like any other journal, but it’s filled with bullet points, or dots, instead of lines. One can use a bullet journal in many ways. Most of the users on TikTok were using their bullet journals to capture their day. Most had habit trackers, sleep logs, water intake trackers and calendars to track their life.

I thought this was a creative way to keep track of my daily life without using a diary. I started watching more bullet-journaling videos and found myself very engaged with the content. I finally came to the conclusion that I was going to start my own bullet journal; I did a bit of research and found out that many craft stores carried all the supplies needed. Most of the supplies can be found at Michael’s I had great success in getting everything I needed.

I sat down and spent days upon days working on my journal. I researched different designs and techniques to use and found myself very excited about what I was doing. I loved every minute of working on my bullet journal and quickly realized that I’d found a new passion and self-care activity.

Bullet-journaling was an activity where I could sit down by myself every day and reflect. As months passed and I continued to do this activity, I knew that I had finally found a hobby and self-care activity that I could use.

There are some days when I’m stressed or tired that I forget to journal, but I always pick up the next day and remember to fill in everything I missed. I recommend giving bullet journaling a try if you’re stuck on finding a new self-care activity.

Amanda Morrison

Wilfrid Laurier '24

4th-year Psychology and Sociology major with a minor in Criminology at Wilfrid Laurier University.