What’s Behind the Awful Question: “So, what do you want to do when you graduate?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

For those of you stressing about your future because you don’t know what to do with your life – stop, right now.

Many of us spend the holidays, or everyday life, being asked by family members how school is going and what we’re going to do when we graduate. Unless you are one of the lucky few who just know what life has in store for them, this freaks you out, and that’s okay. It freaked me out the first few times too. How are you supposed to know what you want to do with your life when you can’t even decide whether you’re in the correct major or not?

Contrary to popular belief, while some may expect that since you’re in university, you have your life planned out step by step, this is the furthest thing from the truth for many of us. You are not alone.

This is your prime; you are in the midst of self-discovery with an ever-changing outlook on life. You are just learning what you love and hate about the world. You are only beginning to widen the scope that is your education and eventual career. Think of your undergrad as dipping your toes in the water. Sure there is the pressure to do well and eventually you will need to start making decisions. But for many, we will graduate without the slightest idea of what is in store for us. This is perfectly normal. While we are all conditioned to be productive contributors to society by working, we are also living in a generation of individualism and self-discovery. Never before have people been encouraged to discover themselves and find a fulfilling job. This is something we need to take advantage of.

Our grandparents graduated (or didn’t) and found a job that would make them a stable income. Then they got married. Our parents graduated high school, got a post-secondary education (some), and found a job that would earn them a sufficient living. Then they got married.

While most of us are aiming for a future with a good job and avoiding being “forever-alone”, there are so many opportunities to take advantage of before we get there.

So what I’m saying is: what’s the rush? You are young and the world is in the palm of your hand. Take things as they come, and view every day as a possibility for something new. Take chances, be spontaneous, and have fun. It is your choice and no one else’s.

So you don’t have your future planned out? At least you can juggle your class schedule, Taco Tuesday at Ethel’s, two-dollar beers at Chainsaw, and that lineup at Phil’s…and Pub on King…and Dallas…and everywhere.

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar