What Book You Should Read Based on Your Favourite Sitcom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I spend a lot of my spare time binge-watching my favourite sitcoms over and over again, so I know that there is a point where you just can’t do it anymore! Luckily for me, I also love to read, and finding books that are like my favourite shows–, well, I love that even more! So, here’s a list of books that you should read based on your favourite sitcom to fill that void between rewatches! 

New Girl and Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren

This book should literally be called Nick and Jess’s Guide to Not Dating! It follows two best friends who are looking for love as they go on a series of blind double dates. While Josh isn’t very similar to Nick, I’m pretty sure that Jess and Hazel are the same person or at least long-lost twins! They’re both quirky elementary school teachers who do and say the weirdest things that’ will have you laughing out loud! 

Modern Family and The Vacationers by Emma Straub

This book is about the Post family taking a two-week vacation with their extended family and friends. The Vacationers is filled with comedy, secrets, rivalries and characters that you will love! This book definitely reflects the chaos that would follow the Pritchetts, Dunphys and Tuckers if they were on a two-week island vacation together! 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen

Looking for some more crime and good laughs? Skinny Dip is a witty crime fiction book about ridiculous and fascinating criminals who are seeking revenge. This book is the perfect combination of comedy, crime and romance, making it the perfect book to read before rewatching Brooklyn Nine-Nine again!

The Big Bang Theory and The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

If you’re in need of some more nerdy humour, The Rosie Project and the rest of the books in the series, The Rosie Effect and The Rosie Result, are for you! The Big Bang Theory and The Rosie Project both follow geeky, socially awkward scientists who are looking for love. With, of course, a few disastrous and humorous events that come their way!

Parks and Recreation and The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

If you’re looking for an enemies-to-lovers office romance, look no further! There’s comedy, romance and best of all, a seething workplace rivalry. The relationship between Lucy and Josh in The Hating Game reminds me a bit of Leslie and Ben’s relationship in Parks and Recreation

The Office and Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

This book follows a group of employees from an ad agency who are slowly laid off as the company shuts down. The group copes the exact same way that the employees from Dunder Mifflin would, with pranks, laughs, secret romances and gossip. It’s filled with many quirky characters that’ll remind you of some of your favourites from The Office

Schitt’s Creek and It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey 

If Schitt’s Creek and Clueless had a baby, I think it would be this book. It’s about a famous LA partygoer whose stepfather cuts her off and sends her to a small town in Washington where she meets a grumpy fisherman. Piper, the main character in this book, is inspired by Alexis from Schitt’s Creek, so if you love her, you’ll love Piper! This book is so fun and heartfelt, there’s even a sequel coming out on March 1, 2022, so if you like it, there’s more to come! 

Friends and Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham

This book follows the protagonist, Franny, who moves to New York after college with the dream of becoming an actress. While this book doesn’t have as big of a friend group as the iconic six from Friends, Franny is still quite close with her few roommates. It’s cute, fun, funny and definitely worth the read while you take an official break (@ Ross and Rachel) from Friends!

The Good Place and Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds

Opposite of Always is a funny and heartfelt novel about love, loss, time travel and trying to prevent the inevitable. This book has a very interesting plot and will take you on a journey filled with lots of laughs and possibly a few tears! Another book that I thought of is They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera, for some possibly obvious reasons – beware though, you might cry!

Superstore and Paper or Plastic by Vivi Barnes

Superstore meets Supermarket. This book is filled with the same whacky customers that we see throughout Superstore as well as some comedy, drama and of course, romance! This book is both fun and serious, making it the perfect book to fill your Superstore void! 

So the next time you finish binge-watching your favourite sitcom, instead of pressing that start over button, try picking up one of these books instead! All these books can be found on Amazon, Indigo and may be found at your local bookstore. Also, be sure to look up trigger warnings before you read so that you know if the book is the right fit for you!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.