This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We have all been dealing with a pandemic for roughly a year now and it does not appear that things will be returning to what we used to call “normal” anytime soon. While some people may still be in denial, the fact of the matter is that millions of people worldwide have died from COVID-19 or complications related to it. Most people know that COVID-19 is spread through droplets that are expelled from an infected person’s body, usually through talking, coughing or sneezing. With that in mind, you would think that more people would be smarter about preventative methods and yet here I am writing this article.

The Canadian government and political leaders across the world have decided to make masks mandatory, especially in areas where transmission is a high possibility. In Ontario alone, there have been over 200 000 cases and we are slowly nearing 7000 COVID-19 related deaths. We are also just coming out of our second lockdown here in Ontario, although I am almost certain there will be at least one more before we can put COVID-19 behind us for good. However, somehow there are still so many people that refuse to wear a mask, if not for themselves then for others. Healthcare workers, emergency service workers and other essential workers all wear masks nonstop for the entirety of their shift, so why should anyone just quickly running to the store be exempt from wearing one?

It’s hard to tell who is careless, who is clueless and who is both, but I can tell you that there are still far too many people that fall under one (or both) of these categories. The lack of cooperation and compassion is jolting, and we still desperately need a shift. If you are away from your home space, then it should go without saying that a mask is required. I understand that masks of any kind are not perfect and will not completely stop the spread, but to be fair, medical professionals and world leaders never claimed that they were perfect barriers. They did however inform us that wearing masks can help prevent the spread. Most people have issues with some part of the methods the government has taken to stop the spread, whether it be the extended lockdowns or the ideas around education routes (online versus in-person). However, you can think that the government’s response is a complete overreaction and still wear a damn mask.

I understand as much as the next person that wearing a mask is uncomfortable and hot. It’s not something that anyone wants to do, but for the safety of myself and others, I do it anyways. I am hopeful that everyone is reasonable enough to realize that regulations (like wearing a mask in public spaces) are not punishments. Surely, we can all understand that regulations such as mask-wearing are put in place so we can protect others and ourselves. Wearing a mask in public is a sign of respect, not just for the government’s regulations but for those around you.

Personal sacrifices will have to be made for the public’s safety and security for the time being until we can figure out a way to overcome the obstacle that is COVID-19. So please, just wear a damn mask until then.

Rachael Stevens

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Rachael is a fourth-year English major at Laurier, with a double minor in German and psychology.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!