This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Chances are, if you’re any person dating a woman, you want to get her something she’ll like for Valentine’s Day. By now you’ve probably also determined she’s impossible to buy for. If you fit those categories, this article will tell you what not to do.

1. Jewellery

The first thing most people think about when buying gifts for women is jewellery. Don’t get me wrong here, jewellery is a great gift! But here are a few things to watch out for. For example, mixing metals: if she wears strictly silver rings, earrings and necklaces, avoid buying her anything gold. Sure, it could be pretty, but if she wears strictly silver already, the chances of her wearing it instead of everything else she already typically wears, is low. So, pay attention to what she already does wear and go for that type of metal.

2. Flowers

Flowers are great! However, don’t just buy any random flower you find on the shelf. Sure, red roses mean love so that’s a safe bet. But if you really want to impress her, try to find her favourite flowers and buy those instead. Maybe in passing she told you she loves magnolias or tulips and you managed to remember. This not only shows that you listen when she tells you stuff like that, but also that you wanted to get her her favourite flowers and not just any red rose. Also, watch out for the girls that hate flowers and prefer green plants because those are a great option too! Watch out for the store-bought flowers in grocery stores as they jack up the prices for the season and those ones usually die faster. A flower shop is more ideal because they set aside the time and care to make sure their flowers are freshly packaged.

3. Rings

Maybe you’re thinking I love this girl, maybe I should get her a ring! Though that’s a good start, pay close attention. First of all, don’t mix metals, as the earlier part of the article stated. Also, I wish I could yell this one, do not buy her a ring if you don’t know her ring size! This is a recipe for disaster and chances are she won’t be able to wear it and you’ll have to exchange it. If she already wears rings, try to ask her what size they are. Otherwise, if any of them fit on your fingers, try them on and then try the same finger in the sizing bands at the jewellery store. Also, if you plan on getting her a ring to propose, do not do it on Valentine’s Day. Well, I mean you can and she might think that’s romantic, but it’s more likely that she won’t. If that’s your plan, pick a day that means a lot to the two of you or a place that you both love. That way, it’s more personal.

4. Dinner

Dinner can be tricky on Valentine’s Day. If you plan on taking her somewhere special for your special day together, don’t wait until the day of to book a reservation. Chances are that the restaurant was booked weeks ago for this very occasion and you might end up eating fast food in the residence dorms. Not very romantic now, is it? So please, book all dinner reservations well in advance for this event to show her you care about where and what you eat. This also gives you bonus points if you surprise her with the booked dinner at her favourite restaurant.

If you read this whole article and thought you didn’t need to hear any of these tips, congratulations, you’re probably a woman. Enjoy the special love day!

Bailey McIntyre

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bailey is in her third year of English studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. From a small town, she escaped when she could by writing whenever possible, as well as reading all things Sci-fi and Romance. She loves Snowboarding, Baking and watching early 2000s movies with hot chocolate. Bailey has a passion for all things writing related and is also the Arts and Life Section editor for The Cord Newspaper at Laurier. Wishing to pursue editing and publishing post grad, writing is her main creative outlet.