This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As we approach midterm season and the school load starts to get heavier, it’s super easy to lose track of everything we have to do. Due dates are getting mixed up and assignments are being forgotten. Fortunately, there’s quite an easy way to avoid all of this hassle and panic: a planner. Using a daily/weekly planner in combination with a monthly one will definitely help you keep track of everything and improve your work habits tremendously.

The first benefit of using a planner is that it creates a visual organization. Having everything laid out in front of you not only is a perfect way to see everything that has to be done, but it also visually shows you how much or how little has to be done. This gives you a clear idea of what you need to do and when. For example, inputting all your due dates on a monthly layout gives you the ability to start planning out your week based on what you have coming up.

Another awesome benefit of planning is that it can help improve your time management. This pretty much adds to my last point. When you see what you have to do, it becomes a lot easier to prioritize and set guidelines for yourself. It allows you to plan out what you want to do and when you want to do it. At the beginning of the day, you’re able to set goals for yourself to complete in a certain amount of time. This removes a lot of stress from your life.

Keeping a planner also helps you learn a lot about yourself. This connects to my point about writing a to-do list for the day. When you first start planning your days, you’ll most likely compile a long list of things you think you can get done (big emphasis on think). You’ll gradually start to learn that you may not be able to handle as much as you thought you could, and that’s okay, we’ve definitely all been there. It may not seem like it, but this is actually a positive thing. After experiencing this a few times, you’ll start to gain a solid idea of what a tolerable daily workload looks like for you. This will certainly boost your productivity.

Lastly, a planner is a great place to keep records. It’s really handy for keeping track of errands and other tasks, especially if you have routine appointments. Let’s say you have to do something every two or three months. By writing them down, you can flip back to exactly when your last one was so you know when to book your next one. Plus, it’s nice to look back on fun things you’ve done like concerts or vacations.

There are plenty more benefits to owning and using a planner, but these are just a few that specifically help with school life. It can definitely be tedious to set it up, inputting all of your due dates and all, but after that, it’s such an easy and great way to stay on top of everything and be the best you!

Tamara Jefak

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Tamara is in her third year at Wilfrid Laurier University and is pursuing a double major in English and Communication Studies. Alongside writing, she enjoys traveling, sparkling water, and dancing in the kitchen while cooking with her roommates.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her