Tips for Living with Your Parents in University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Online school has left a lot of university students unexpectedly living with their parents. Although this may come with home-cooked meals, less student house debauchery and other perks, living at home can also come with its own challenges. 

If you have found yourself struggling to remain sane the past few months as you tackle living with your parents in university, the following tips may help you overcome these challenges. Living with your parents as an adult does not have to be a miserable experience. In fact, over time, you can grow with your parents and form a healthy cohabiting relationship. 

Ask to be treated as an adult

One of the most challenging parts about living at home as a university student is expecting your parents to treat you as an adult. For many child-parent relationships, this growth does not happen naturally. For this reason, you need to have an open line of communication with your parents about what changes need to be made so that you can gain greater independence and responsibility in your home. 

Act like an adult

One common challenge with university students living with their parents is that all the blame gets laid upon the parents and not the student. It can be hard to continue to act like the independent adult you are when you have to return to your childhood home. However, it is vital that if you request that your parents treat you like an adult, then you must act like one. Now, what does that mean? Resolve conflict like an adult, do your part to help around the house and continue an open line of communication. 

Balance alone and family time

Living with your parents can often go two ways. Some university students find themselves suffocated by the presence of their parents, Specifically by not feeling as if they have room to breathe and be alone. Losing independence can be challenging once it is already developed. Sometimes when people go to live with their parents in university, they don’t give their parents any time of day. It is really important while living with your parents and developing a child-parent relationship to find time dedicated to spending time with your parents. It can be challenging for parents to live with an adult child and feel like they are just a host and no longer a parent. Socialize with them, have dinners or breakfast and build your relationship. 

Hopefully, these tips will help you grow your relationship with your parents while you live with them as a student. Just remember that miracles don’t happen overnight, and it takes slow and gradual changes over time. Lastly, a conscious effort every day to develop a healthy relationship with your parents will not only pay off now, but it will help set a foundation for after you graduate as well. 

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!