Style

Tips for Dressing Cute in the Winter and How it Can Improve Your Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If midterms and snowstorms are making it almost impossible to motivate yourself to go to class, try putting on a cute outfit and see if that helps. 

We’ve hit the middle of the term. Midterms and essays are upon us; even worse, we have piles of snow and freezing winds that make coming to class a struggle — let alone coming with a positive attitude. It’s easy right now to throw on a pair of sweatpants, an oversized hoodie, big jacket and boots in order to survive the cold and make it to class alive, but there is a reason this is the time of year where melancholy and sadness tend to set in.

I’ve noticed this year that dressing nicely has wildly improved my motivation and emotional outlook. Putting on a cute top can be the perfect confidence boost to help keep me optimistic in the face of a long day, and it’s always nice to have people compliment my clothes. That’s why, if you’re having a hard time getting yourself motivated to go to class right now, I recommend dressing nicely. It can be just the thing to help you look forward to going to class, even if it’s just to show off how awesome you’re looking today. 

Unfortunately, it’s crazy cold outside, which can make it really hard to find a way to dress nicely and not freeze to death. Leggings, skinny jeans and flowy tops aren’t practical in this weather, and it can be discouraging when you have to sacrifice fingers in order to look good. 

Luckily for you, I have some easy tips for being stylish without having to lose a limb to frostbite.

Oversized sweaters

They’re warm for any time you have to step outside, and they’re also super cute. Bright colours can be fun to help combat the blandness of winter, and they go well with any type of pants or shoes that you’re forced to wear because of the weather. 

Big scarves 

These will help to keep you warm and protect you from the wind, they’re stylish and go really nicely with plain tops and simple outfits. Again, they can add a pop of colour and help keep you warm in class, without having to be bundled up under clothes that are too thick and hot once you get into a building. 

Cute hats 

Whether it’s a beanie or a cute knitted cap with a pompom, hats are necessary to protect your ears on the walk to campus. Unfortunately, if you’re like me, a hat will totally ruin the top of your hair. BUT, luckily, you can just keep your hat on and rock it in class as a cute accessory to your outfit. 

Layers 

There are a couple of different ways to approach the idea of layering. In the most basic sense, literally, layer a pair of sweatpants or something warm on top of your leggings or jeans to help keep you warm. You can take them off once you get onto campus so they don’t ruin your Look™.

Another way you can layer is by wearing something like a thin shirt and then a cardigan or button-up on top. The layers will help with the arctic temperatures; then, if you need to get warm on campus, you can take off a layer or mix. You can also mix and match layers over a couple of days so that you don’t need to put too much effort into your outfits while still looking cute every day. 

(As an added bonus, dressing nicely when you leave the house means that when you get home you can take all of that off and slide into your pyjamas. It feels so good to put on PJs after you’ve just taken off a pair of jeans — and it’s the perfect way to end a productive day.)

Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.