Things Seniors Want Freshmen to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

While back to school may be dreadful for some, Golden Hawks have been patiently waiting all summer to get back home to Laurier. For many of us, we’re entering our final year of our undergrads. Others are just beginning their journey as a Golden Hawk. For those of you just heading into your first year, there are some things you need to know about life as a university student. It can be quite the roller coaster, but definitely the experience of a lifetime. Here are some things to consider that may help start your university career off right.

Things that are a marathon, not a sprint: O-week, HOCO, and St. Paddy’s

While o-week, or frosh week as some like to call it, is an adventure on its own, you have to make sure you can draw the line when it comes to having too much fun. The week is jam-packed with new people, new surroundings, and tons of energy. It can be easy to get caught up in the excitement and do something a little stupid. On that note, less than a month later, Golden Hawks celebrate Homecoming. No one can lie, it gets a little rowdy, but if you’re spending your day celebrating HOCO, take it easy, or you’ll be asleep by noon and miss out on the fun. This goes for St. Patrick’s Day as well. Don’t get the funnel out before noon.

DO NOT step on the Hawk.

IT’S THE HAWK. The Hawk is sacred. It’s shiny, in a central space, and literally Golden. When you misstep and happen to ACCIDENTALLY (it better be an accident anyways) step on the Hawk, you will hear people yell at you to kiss it. Take that seriously. Get down on your knees and kiss the Hawk. You will be forgiven by Golden Hawks past, present, and future. Also, walking across it on purpose will lead you to bad grades for the duration of your undergrad.

Don’t strive to be Spotted

Getting Spotted should happen naturally. People get Spotted for their Golden Hawk pride, for being admired from afar, and for slipping up in public. It’s funny. It’s light humour. For the most part anyways. But if you’re trying to make it happen….just don’t.

Take advantage of every opportunity.

While some people like to coast through their education, it’s way more fun to get involved. It is your choice, but there is more to university than gaining an education and getting a job. People really do find their lifelong friends in university. University should be a personal challenge to get out of your comfort zone. Participate fully in O-Week, apply for the on-campus job you want, talk to strangers in your lectures, and join whatever clubs catch your interest. University is a time to explore yourself, and Laurier provides you with every opportunity to do so, but only if you use them.

Get involved.

There are almost 200 clubs on campus. Laurier’s student community thrives off of the ability to provide a Grade A student experience, and one of the reasons why is that there is something for everyone. Joining different clubs and associations allows for students to make connections within their program, but also in other spheres as well. Check out the Laurier Clubs page here: Laurier Undergraduate Clubs

Your grades do not define you.

The transition from high school to university is hard. It’s scary. It’s overwhelming. But it’s also perspective-changing. The adjustment period is difficult for many, and as much as getting good grades is important, they do not define your overall success as a person, future professional, and individual.

And on that note….

Your mental health is more important.

Laurier has a wide range of services-yes this sounds repetitive, and everyone reminds you. But they’re useful, and available to every student. It’s okay to be overwhelmed and be unsure of how you’re doing. Lots of people feel the same way. Sometimes talking to friends and family doesn’t quite cut it. Reach out to the mental health services available on campus. Laurier isn’t number one in student satisfaction for no reason!

University isn’t about getting everything right the first time. There is a lot of trial and error. If you hate your major, switch it. If you want to participate in class, throw that hand up and share your opinion. University is also about learning to budget your time with five classes, extra-curriculars, and a social life. The bottom line is, university is a learning experience, not just in terms of academics. Have fun, and make the most of your university experience!

Welcome to Laurier, Class of 2021!

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.