Things I’ve Learned During my Undergrad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Go to class

You’re literally paying thousands of dollars to be here, so just go. Even if it’s boring or dumb or you “aren’t learning anything.” You really won’t miss out on much by just going to school… which, I mean, is why you’re here, right?!?

Go to your prof’s office hours

Those poor little souls sit in their offices for those two-hour periods and legit do everything and anything unrelated to your course if you don’t show up. They genuinely want to help you, and appreciate you taking the time out of your day to show that you care about their class and the marks you’re receiving.

It’s okay to question your major like every single day

I am graduating and I still am sitting here like “hmmm, did I really make the right choice?” Honestly, we are young and what we want to do in life is going to probably change, so if you don’t like your major, switch! If you love it, stick with it. And honestly, if you just want to get a degree and get out, that is totally okay, too!

Marks aren’t everything

I say this in terms of being self aware that you as a person matter more than the grades you receive on your transcript. Obviously, you want to succeed and excel but remember to take time for yourself and realize that your mental health is so much more important. You are not defined by your GPA!

It’s okay to cry and have meltdowns

We have all been there and it is definitely socially acceptable at this point. I can easily say that I have cried in more than one of my prof’s offices because sometimes shit happens. Don’t hide your emotions, express yourself; you will definitely feel better after.

This is the prime time to make mistakes

We are all in the age bracket of about 18-24, so my god do stupid shit, go out with friends, and make great memories and stories to talk about over that hangover brunch. Real adult life is right around the corner, so take every opportunity you can to experience something new!

You actually need at least 7+ hours of sleep to survive

Yes, you heard me. That coffee and sleep deprivation routine will definitely crash and burn at some point. It could be working for you now but just wait, all good things come to an end. Go to bed, relax, and give your brain a rest and maybe have less coffee running through your veins, idk.

People will be coming in and out of your life

You are making new friends, losing old friends, getting into relationships or maybe even getting out of one. Join a club, get a job, or just get involved. You are going to meet so many new people, some that stay, some that go and that is totally okay!

Water does not fix everything

WOW shocking, right?! I don’t know why this is everyone’s go to???? Like sure, water is good for you, but my god telling someone to “drink water” is not going to fix their life problems, so let’s just collectively stop :)

Meal prep is amazing

I used to think that meal prep was so “basic,” pls don’t hate me. But it is actually amazing and definitely worth trying out. It can get a little boring sometimes, but coming home to an already cooked meal that is actually good for you is always a positive thing!

Line. Up. For. Phils. Early.

I cannot say this enough. Going at 11pm is never going to work out. Why people think that they aren’t going to freeze to death and sober up is actually beyond me??? Line up early, love yourself and get yourself that pole.

The four years FLY by

Honestly, you get to university and you think that this is going to be some long winded experience, but it actually goes by so fast. Take it all in and make the most of the short time you have here!

Lastly, it is okay to not know what you’re next step is.

Take it from me, I’m about to graduate and have no idea where life is going to take me, but that is totally okay. Take time to think about it, pay off some loans, travel, RELAX, and take a break. Everything will work out and you will eventually come up with a plan!

Emma Grace

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.