Anna Schultz-Friends Cuddling In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

There’s No Such Thing as Being ‘Too Emotional’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

What does it mean to be ‘too emotional’? If you were to ask someone who thinks that being too emotional is an actual thing, they would tell you that it means feeling things too deeply, no matter the circumstance. It’s also associated with negative connotations and stigma, and I don’t think it should. I don’t understand why? I believe that there’s no such thing as being too emotional.

Growing up, I was constantly told I was too emotional. I always felt like the people around me thought I was too weak. Despite the hurt I felt, this comment made me feel like I needed to cover my emotions. I would hide my feelings because I didn’t want others to tell me I was being too emotional. Holding these emotions in isn’t healthy, it’s draining. It’s not good to hold emotions in, especially if they constantly bother you. However, as I grew older, my perspective changed.

I learned that there is no such thing as being too emotional. When developing a better understanding of yourself, your emotions are so important to understand. To understand your feelings, you must emote and allow yourself to feel every element your heart wants to feel. Holding these emotions in made me insecure since I constantly doubted how I felt.

A big part of focusing on myself entailed validating and recognizing my emotions. To do so, I had to let go of every single feeling my heart was harbouring, both positive and negative. In other words, I had to open my heart to connect with what I was constantly feeling inside and let my emotions out. I needed to let my feelings out to help me process a lot, to guide me in my life. In other words, you must allow yourself to feel your emotions to heal.

Allowing myself to feel the emotions I constantly held back has made me appreciate many aspects of myself. One quality I admire about myself is my ability to empathize with others. Opening myself to feeling the emotions I always held back gave me something to appreciate about myself, which contributes to my healing process.

Empathetic people are the kinds of people I want to build relationships with. Allowing yourself to feel all your emotions will make you more understanding of the emotions of others. This strengthens your intuitive intelligence. Empathetic people help each other out. These connections are crucial when seeking emotional support.

Emotions are the heart of what makes us who we are. Without emotions, how else would we communicate and express who we are to people? How are we supposed to build life-long connections if we can’t emote who we are to others? To connect with people, we must emote and not hold anything back. It’s not a negative thing.

Overall, there is no such thing as being too emotional. Emotions are the centre of who we are and are what will drive us to what we want. Therefore, it’s important to acknowledge who we are and what we feel. So please, feel everything. You can never feel too much, please express the emotions inside of your heart because they’re valid. How you feel inside is infinitely beautiful!

Sophia Guardado

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Sophia is an English Literature student at Wilfrid Laurier University. On her free time, you will catch her reading books, taking long nature walks or at the gym!