This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

A sister is who you grew up with, who you can count on the most and who you share the deepest connection with. She knows you better than anyone else. She’s with you all the time through tough moments, the happy moments or anytime you just need her comfort. Even when you’re not physically together, you’re still so close. She’s a piece of home.

Sisters think the same way because we were raised together and looked up to the same people. The people and environment we were surrounded by shaped and influenced our personalities. Yes, we have grown outside of each other, but our core values are ultimately quite similar. It’s because of these similarities that we have a strong and unique mental connection. We just know what the other is thinking like 95% of the time. Sometimes we don’t even have to say anything, we just exchange a look and know we’re on the same page. It’s quite comforting to have someone that thinks like you and who can share life’s moments with you.

However, along with the happier moments in life, sisters go through hard times together too. Whether it’s a difficult event we share or that we need to help the other through something of their own, we’re always there for each other. Reacting to a hard time we both share is usually quite easy because, for the most part, we each know how the other is feeling and how to help. It’s going through or helping with the other’s individual challenges that can seem harder. Regardless, as a sister, this is a skill we have been working on for our entire lives. Our main job is to look out for one another and to help each other feel better, so that’s what we continue to do. A sister can tell when something’s wrong and the other is feeling off. We know each other’s tendencies and habits, so emotions are easy for us to see. Because we know each other inside and out, we know how to help in every situation. We know exactly what to do and say to get each other through a hard time. If there’s one person who can read you and fix you better than yourself, it’s your sister.

In the past few years my sister and I have both moved away from home. We don’t see each other as often, but it doesn’t really feel that way. We text, we facetime and I can feel her supporting me from a distance. We don’t have to see each other every day to know that we’re always there for each other. I know that if I need something or just want to talk, she’ll be right there and it goes both ways. Even though we’re both moving through new stages of our life, we still have the same connection we’ve always had and will continue to support each other no matter how far apart we are. As we get older, our bond only strengthens. We learn more about each other, we go through new things together and we keep growing closer. In this rapidly changing world and different chapters of our lives, sisters are a constant that remains. There’s no other connection in life that feels quite like this one and that’s what makes it so special.                           

Sydney Greenwood

Wilfrid Laurier '24

I'm Sydney and this is my first year as a writer for Her Campus at WLU. I am going to write about topics related to school/academics and mental health and wellbeing. I want other women to know that what they are feeling and going through is valid and that others' can relate. I want people to find comfort in my articles and know that they are not alone. I am in my fourth year of music, concentrating in music education. I'm also working on a history minor. Outside of school and Her Campus, I enjoy baking, arts & crafts and watching true crime documentaries. As well, I love learning new things, whether it's an instrument, a fun history fact or a new hobby.