Stockholm Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Halie McGough
Wellness

The Best Wholesome and Creative Meals to Make with Your Roomies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’ve been in university for a couple of years now and something I’ve always loved to do is make wholesome and fun dinners with my roommates and friends. There are so many benefits to cooking with your roomies; it can save you some money, you get to try new things and you also have the opportunity to bond with them and get to know them a little better. I’ve decided to share two of the best dinners that my roommates and I have collaborated on and encourage you to try them out yourself!

Hot Pot

Last semester, my amazing roommates introduced me to hot pot, and it’s slowly become one of my favourite meals. This fun and interactive meal consists of different types of meats and veggies all cooked in a broth of your choice. Some of my favourite ingredients include sliced beef, bok choy and noodles, but you’re able to mix and match to find your favourite combo. This meal may take a little bit of prep and requires a quick trip to the grocery store, but it’s so fun that’s it’s totally worth it. It’s also great if you’re looking to have a dinner party or invite a lot of people over because it tends to be super filling and everyone can pick and choose what they want from the steaming broth. This dish has become a staple at my apartment and it’s slowly starting to become a roomie tradition on holidays. Shoutout to my amazing roommates for introducing me to this incredible dish!

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

This dish is super easy and, also, feeds a lot of people! My roommates and I tried this one a couple of weeks ago and it was so filling and quick to make. There are many different recipes you can follow, but you basically just need to cook up some ground chicken with a sweet, yet tangy, sauce and voila! Served in lettuce, this dish is easy, quick and can make a great meal for tons of people. It’s so delicious and I recommend trying this one out with your friends or family, as well as with your roommates. With only four or five ingredients needed, some of which you might already have at home, this dish can be fairly university-student budget-friendly.

These are just two of my favourite meals lately that have been super easy and quick to make. Being a university student, I constantly feel busy and burnt out, but these dinners make it easy to sit back and relax a bit while socializing with my roommates and friends. Since they’re so cost-effective and filling, I always enjoy cooking up these dishes as a way to destress and connect with the people I love. I recommend trying these out yourself to spice up some of your dinners.

Alexandra Winter

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alex is in her third year of Kinesiology at Wilfrid Laurier University and is also minoring in Psychology. She has been a writer for Her Campus for about a year and a half and has loved every second of it. Some of her main hobbies include reading, working out, and hanging out with friends. Her favourite shows are Money Heist and Euphoria. She has a twin sister and 3 amazing pets who she loves very much.