This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Whether it is your first or last time applying for a job, I have all the tips and tricks you need to start looking. It can be pretty intimidating, but take a deep breath and let me walk you through it.

To get yourself started, you will have to make sure you have an up-to-date resume. This is more than just updating jobs, but also making sure you’re adding contact information, co-curriculars and volunteer experience. Basically, anything you did that gave you experience should be included, even if it is just a general club membership. You may think these experiences are nothing, but they actually show that you are dedicated and passionate. Resumes are also a great place to highlight your skillset! This could include programs you know how to use or even languages. Pro tip: if you really want to be remembered, make sure that your name is prominently displayed in a legible font.

If you’re having a problem determining what’s relevant for your resume, don’t worry! It is great to have a variety of jobs listed, but you also don’t want to waste valuable space on an experience you have may that won’t help you that much with a certain job. If you are applying to jobs in different fields, it is best to have different resumes. This way, the experience on your resume will match up with the job better without you having to stress about space or cutting things out.

When applying to some jobs, they might ask for more than just your resume, such as a cover letter or writing samples. As a writer, I usually have people ask for samples of my past work, but what you’re asked for depends on the industry. For example, if you’re on social media, potential employers may ask to see posts you have created or maybe some analytics. It is always good to have these ready at hand to help improve your application – they might not ask for these things, but it is also good to send them to showcase your experience and dedication. Don’t forget to include a cover letter, especially if you are passionate about a job!

I’d also definitely recommend doing some research on companies you want to work for before applying for a job to make sure that they are a good fit. As a bonus, if you do get an interview, you now have some handy facts at your disposal. Don’t forget to also say what you like about the company! People love compliments and it shows you have done your work.

Getting a job can be hard and stressful – the majority of us have been there! Just remember you won’t get them all, but you will get one. Just be prepared and make sure you have everything you need. Don’t give up on the search! If you don’t appear to be getting interest, you may have to go back to step one and make sure that your resume is clear and informative. If you follow these tips, it definitely will make the search easier and less stressful!

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!