This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Spring has to be one of my favourite seasons. There is something so special about how everything dies in the winter, then the wave of regrowth that comes in the spring and nature that begins to bloom full of new life. This change is not only the case with nature. If we choose to use this time carefully, we are also able to bring new growth and sunshine back into our lives. 

The first important thing to do once spring comes is to be open to “out the old and in with the new”. This doesn’t mean purging your closet or items in your home, it simply means getting rid of the things that are no longer serving you. When it comes to the things that may cause you doubt or anxiety, chuck those thoughts and mentality out the window. They do not belong anywhere near your new beginnings. 

It is important to be able to recognize both our thoughts as well as what causes us to hold ourselves back from reaching the goals and successes that we wish to see. We need to take this time to truly think and write down the things that we want to achieve and accomplish. By doing this, we will be able to ask ourselves: “What is keeping me from reaching this goal?” In all honesty, when do we ask ourselves that question? We need to reflect on how we hold ourselves back because we may be too scared of what is next or scared to see ourselves grow and leave certain things in the past. 

Rethinking our mental health is an important thing to do. We need to think of the various ways that we can continue to support our mental health. We want to be able to release happy and healthy hormones and to have the feeling of having that spark light up in us again. It is time to start getting outside, going for nature walks and looking at the beauty around us that is beginning to bloom. It is time to start watching the animals come out of hibernation and the flowers begin to grow. Believe it or not, we’re very similar to nature. We need to come out of hibernation and start growing again. 

I know that during these winter months my growth and mental health normally come to a halt. I begin to neglect my health and I get overwhelmed and therefore I do not spend enough time nurturing my mind and body. Spring is normally when I am able to pull myself back together, by taking the time to recognize the things that I want to start to change. Therefore, I try my very best to make those changes. Most people will say that we should be trying to grow all year round, and that’s true, but if you are like me, winter normally slows me down and for some strange reason and I associate my time to grow again when spring comes. With spring here now, I am ready to ignite a spark in me and to feel and grow through new beginnings and get rid of things that are no longer serving me. 

Use this time to grow and bloom. Tune into the changes of nature to help you gain strength and motivation for these changes. Remember that it is always important to recognize your own abilities and how you are the only person who is able to make these changes within yourself and revitalize your life. 

Ashley Ethier

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Ashley is a third year double major in Sociology and English at Wilfrid Laurier University. In her spare time she enjoys reading, walking her dogs and enjoying the simpler things in life.