This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

March brings above freezing temperatures, the warm glow of sunshine and hope for the future. After a long, cold and dark winter, the first sign of spring is happily welcomed. Everywhere you look, people are outside walking, biking and playing. Children’s laughter echoes through the streets and the sun stays up until after dinner. Winter coats and boots are shed while sunglasses are brought out. Windows are rolled down, speakers are turned up and everything is peaceful.

Spring is a reminder that you did it; you made it. Whether you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder or not, winter is tough. The short, cold days can leave you feeling empty, with no hope of a better tomorrow. In the depths of winter, life can feel meaningless during a good year, but with the added stress of the lockdown, this winter was especially difficult. However, with spring around the corner, things are looking up. Take some time to go for a walk, feel the sunshine on your face and remind yourself of all that you have overcome this past winter.

We all need a new beginning every now and then and spring is the perfect opportunity for this. As the earth gets its fresh start, this energy moves through us as well, opening the door for change, growth and renewal. Spring is a time to let go of things that have been weighing you down. Maybe it’s a past relationship that didn’t work out or a failed class in your last semester; whatever it is, use spring as a time to transition away from that stress and focus your energy on something new and self-fulfilling.

For students, spring means the school year is coming to a close and summer is approaching. As you finish up your final exams, reflect on what you accomplished and where you fell short. Think about ways that you can improve next year, and then let go of the baggage that came with this online experience. Things are looking up for our world right now. Let that hope shine through you and your goals.

Spring reminds us that growth is a process, but in the end, it is worth it. Flowers don’t bloom overnight, trees take weeks to form leaves and the rainy season feels like it lasts forever. This seems like a long, tiring process, but when you think about what is waiting on the other side, it is beautiful. Spring is a time to clean your house out, both literally and figuratively, and start fresh. Make the difficult decisions you have been avoiding, take the risks you have been shying away from and do something good for your soul. The positive energy that comes with spring radiates through us all and it is an incredible process to watch unfold.

Next time you go for a walk, throw on your best spring outfit, grab an iced coffee and look at all the smiling faces that you pass. The first few weeks of spring are the best weeks of the year, as they bring with them hope and promise of a better tomorrow. Go outside, feel the sun and give yourself a pat on the back for outlasting winter.

Emma Soden

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Emma is a 4th year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University with minors in Global Studies and Criminology. She is passionate about reading, writing and fitness. She hopes to pursue a career in journalism with a focus on sports.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!