burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Let’s be honest, for the majority of us first dates can be awkward, but opting for a more “relaxed” outfit can help you stay cool, calm, and collected in this sometimes uncomfortable dating game. 

Boyfriend Jeans + White Blouse

You can’t go wrong with jeans. Going for a walk, to the movies, eating a burrito? No matter what, boyfriend jeans got your back. Opt for distressed, slightly baggy, and cuffed bottom jeans, paired with a white blouse. You can dress it up with a leather jacket or blazer.

Keys to success with this outfit: Accessories! Finish the look off with statement heels (ones that you can wear long enough sober without crying) and a clutch. It’s a really simple outfit that will help you say ‘yes’ to any spontaneous activity throughout the date. 

Pleated Midi Skirt

We’ve seen the pleated midi skirt come back in style over the past few seasons, thank goodness for that!

The first option is great for a casual setting. The bold colour of the skirt holds the outfit together, so there’s no need to go crazy with accessorizing. You can either choose to wear a chunky necklace as pictured above, or a layered necklace. Alternatively, a great pair of chandelier earrings will complement this outfit nicely too.

You’ll see slits everywhere this summer. To keep it sweeter than sexy, opt for floral patterns and pastel shades. For a night time look, choose darker colours, nudes, or metallic.

If you’re striving for a formal evening look, try a fuller bodied skirt.

Romper/Jumpsuits

Rompers are great because you can dress them up or dress down. Long sleeved rompers are currently trending. This is a great look for the daytime that you can dress up by accessorizing with a belt, a necklace and a hat. For the evening, a simple jumpsuit can keep you comfortable yet looking chic. If black is your choice, bring the outfit alive by accessorizing with bold heels, necklace, and bracelets.  

Elephant pants (or wide leg pants)

You can probably save the world in elephant pants. If you’re into comfort yet looking and feeling your best, slip into some wide leg pants. They are basically pyjamas that are acceptable to be worn out in public, who wouldn’t want that? This style isn’t for everyone, but if you’re brave enough to try it – do it! You’ll never want to take them off.

As for a top – because wide leg pants tend to be high-waisted – a cropped top would be best.

Whether it’s your first date or fiftieth, these are a few options you can try that will help calm the nerves. Of course, if these looks don’t work for you, dress in whatever that makes you happy and feel comfortable.

Best of luck and remember it’s supposed to be fun!