kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Spring Clean Your Mind: Why You Should Have a Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Spring is a great time for cleaning, and that doesn’t just mean your apartment! Keeping a journal can help you in so many ways, and cleaning your mind is one of them! 

To start off, it gives you time to yourself. At the end of each day, you can sit down and reflect on what you did. You have an open voice to talk about your day, how you feel it went and what happened. This is only the start to the benefits of having a journal.

If you happen to be nostalgic to any degree, keeping a journal is a great way for you to keep track of all the good things that have happened to you. If you ever are feeling lost, or feel like you need to reconnect with something that happened in the past, it allows you to look back and have great new insights. Not to mention that writing down all the great things that have happened to you during the day will help you appreciate what you have and feel thankful for all the wonderful things going on in your life. On top of all that, later down the line it’s always fun to revisit all the nice things you wrote about your friend and witness how you grew up together.

Another great reason to start journaling is to help with anxiety. Journaling on a consistent basis is a fantastic way for you to do something that is just for you. Every day you have something to look forward to and, good or bad, you know that you will be able to let it all out. No one else has to read it or look at it, so you can really let all your feelings out in a judgement-free way. This can help you get out all the thoughts racing through your head and finally put them to rest. It’s like venting to a friend — without any repercussions. Letting it all out can be soothing, and knowing that you can write anything down can be a very freeing feeling.

You have the freedom to start a journal any time you want, and with spring in the air, it’s the perfect time to start. By writing your life on paper, you’re able to free space in your mind. You don’t have to remember small details or hold in any feelings you have. A journal provides a way to let that all out so that you can feel better. It is a way to declutter your mind and have a fresh start for tomorrow.

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.