This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

A DIY girl, otherwise known as a ‘Do it Yourself Girl’, can commonly be mistaken for a hoarder. Where others see trash, she sees potential. You won’t be surprised to find her scrolling through DIY projects on Pinterest in class, and it’s just another Sunday afternoon if you walk in on her double boiling candle wax in the kitchen. Sound like you? Then read on, and let’s see just how far down the rabbit hole you’ve gone.

“I’m not a drunk… I’m just saving up for a DIY project.” 

Does the thought of throwing away empty wine bottles make you cringe? And God forbid you accidentally lose the cork; they’re both just a DIY project waiting to happen.  With the number of empty bottles lined up across your windowsill, your neighbours are convinced that you have spent the last year (at least!) trying to recover from a tough break-up. Or perhaps you’ve just got some serious issues. With judgments like these, at least you’ll know who won’t be invited to your wine-themed wedding party.

Where others see trash, you see treasure. 

As a DIY girl, you know that there is nothing that some metallic spray paint can’t jazz up! You can turn any regular household object into something special. For this reason, your roommates know that any recyclable item has to go through you first. They see an empty honey bottle. You see your next DIY project.

You’re great in the kitchen

You’re an awesome roommate to have around, and why wouldn’t you be? You always find creative ways to make new recipes and your roomies don’t mind being your test subjects.  

A special holiday = a sweet surprise from you!

Roses are red, violets are blue, DIY girls are cool… hey, that’s you! With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier is betting that you’ve got some cool gifts in mind for the Valentine(s) in your life. A DIY girl shows her appreciation towards her friends and family by creating a gift she knows they’ll love. What says ‘I love you’ more than taking the time to make it from scratch?

Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier would love to know what DIY projects you’re currently working on! Tweet us some pictures and share them with your fellow DIY Golden Hawks @HerCampusWLUCA!

Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier