Simple Yet Effective Ways to Combat the November Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s that time of year. The days are short, cold and grey, midterms and final papers are piling up and it feels like nothing good is coming your way. You are past the fun, party-focused first months of school and the stress is beginning to consume you. Don’t worry though, you aren’t alone, everyone is feeling it this time of year. November is a hard month. In order to help combat the November blues, here are some fun things to do with your friends to help brighten your spirit without breaking your bank:

Movie Night/Games Night

This is my absolute favourite thing to do with my friends at any point in the year, but especially on a cold, snowy night. Turn on the twinkle lights, open a bottle of wine and either cozy up to your favourite holiday classic or your board games of choice. Both options are an easy way to wind down from a stressful day while being able to focus your mind on something easy and carefree. You can laugh about the cheesy Hallmark romances or fight over who truly won the board game, and as you do so, forget about the papers and midterms that you really should be worrying about. I always find myself looking around at my friends partway through nights like these and smiling to myself as I realize how happy I am to be surrounded by the people I am, especially during the not-so-great times of the year.

Holiday Decorating

Since Halloween is over, the holidays have officially begun! Head over to the Dollar Store with your friends and grab as many lights, garland and cozy items as you can find to decorate your house for the holidays. Not only is the actual act of decorating a fun-filled afternoon, but having your house lit up with lights, festive scents and warm wool blankets is an instant mood changer. There is nothing like coming home from a cold, snowy walk back from campus to a warm, cozy house

Christmas Light Walks

This is something my family has been doing since I was a young kid, that I now do here with my friends at school. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it is so much fun to gather your friends, bundle up, get yourselves a hot chocolate and go for a walk through town to admire all the lights. You can ooh and ahh about the extravagant light displays and laugh about the interesting colour choices and questionable decisions. The fresh air and exercise will do you well after being cooped up in the library studying all day. The time with your friends will give you something to smile about and look back on the next time you are overwhelmed.

Snowball Fights, Snow Angels and Sledding

This may sound childish, but there is nothing more fun than a day outside in the snow. Put on your snow pants, head to the park and have yourself a fun afternoon playing in the snow. Whether you choose to build a snow fort, throw snowballs at each other, or find a hill to go tobogganing, I promise you that letting your inner child shine through will drastically improve your mood. Yes, it will be cold, yes you will get wet and snowy, but you will not regret it.

Seasonal depression is hard, November is hard, school is hard. I’m not trying to deny this or take away from these feelings, I am simply suggesting that a few hours a week with your friends doing something simple, yet fun, will drastically improve your mood and give you the boost that you need to make it through the week.

Emma Soden

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Emma is a 4th year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University with minors in Global Studies and Criminology. She is passionate about reading, writing and fitness. She hopes to pursue a career in journalism with a focus on sports.