This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’m no makeup artist whatsoever. In fact, I’m a bit of a minimalist when it comes to makeup. But if I know one thing, it’s that makeup can be a challenge. Finding products that you love is no easy task, which is why I am taking the time to share some of my go-to products. 

1. Brushes
I use three main brushes. My main eye shadow brush at the moment is from Sephora, my current powder brush is from Elf and my blush brush is from Ecotools. 

2. Foundation

Personally, I’ve found that makeup becomes a little simpler when combined with a consistent/ effective skincare routine. I usually only apply foundation on my under eye, or to address any red spots. Foundation is a little tough, as it’s hard to find the perfect shade, but for the time being, I am a fan of L’oreal Paris’ Visible Lift Serum Absolute Foundation.

3. Blush

The last time I went to Beechwood Doughnuts, the cashier complimented me on my blush, but I couldn’t recall the brand. Right now I use a Covergirl blush. It comes with three tones; I typically just mix all three. 

4. Powder

Who doesn’t love a little sparkle? I usually apply this Urban Decay NAKED Illuminated powder lightly to my entire face. It is subtle enough to not look ridiculously over the top, and in natural light, brings a nice glow to my skin. 

5. Eyeshadow

Glitter is my Kryptonite. When I was in the eighth grade, I used to plaster glitter on my face like war paint. Now I’ve tamed my obsession, and tend to just use glittery eyeshadows. Two of my current favourites are from Sephora, such as Sea Glass and Lucky Penny. My third favourite is from the Smashbox full exposure line; the writing has faded, but the actual eye shadow is a nice gold tone. 

6. Mascara

I have always used the same mascara, and that would be L’oreal Paris’ Voluminous mascara. I often switch up tones — and I don’t always purchase waterproof — but this mascara brand has been with me since day one!

7. Lip Products

Right now, I have two top lip products that I absolutely love. I like to lightly apply the rouge Bite lipstick, as it’s a little dark. Alternatively, the Marc Jacobs lipstick, in the shade of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, is a little lighter than the Bite lipstick, so I’ll often switch between the two. 

8. Brows

I was thankfully blessed with dark brows, so I will very rarely adjust them; but when I do, I use the Essence brows makeup box.   

There is an abundance of products out there for consumers to enjoy; so many that, sometimes, it helps to have a narrowed down suggestion list, such as this one. Makeup is a fun way to accentuate your features and express your personality. That being said, it is no secret that different things work for different people. Ultimately, this list is for a simple look with a little something extra — and by something extra, I mean glitter.

Simmone Huras

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Simmone Huras is a 3rd year Political Science Major at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.