Seven Types of Family Members You Will Have at Your Holiday Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We’re finally coming up on the holidays; time to rejuvenate, reconnect with family after four months away, and of course, fill up on too much home-cooked food. While sitting around the dinner table during the holidays, we’re reminded of the different people that come together to form our unique families. Here are seven people that are probably sitting at the table enjoying the holidays with you.

The Nosy Need to Know It All

You know this family member…they want every detail of everyone’s lives, and they want to know right now. No questions are off limits, and they’re sure to make each of their victims uncomfortable at some point. It’s like they’re writing a novel on the family and need to know exactly what’s going on in everyone’s lives. Since you’re a nice person, you’ll answer every question….with a smile.

The Brat(s)

It’s likely your siblings or heck, maybe it’s you. The brat is the member of the family looking to start a fight- with anyone, about anything. Holiday dinners are joyful and fun-loving until the brat causes a scene and gets everyone going. All was peaceful until they picked a fight.

The Show-Off

Regardless of the fact that everyone in the family already saw the fifteen posts on Facebook about how well life is going, the show-off can’t help but remind everyone that they are on Cloud Nine. Whether it’s school or job-related, the show-off is there to remind everyone that they are climbing the ladder, and will continue to remind everyone of that so everyone recognizes their success. They aren’t doing it to be obnoxious- who are we kidding, yes, they are, and every time they talk, there is a collective eye-roll by the rest of the table. 

The Grinch

The Grinch in the family waits until everyone is completely satisfied, and then unloads their misery. They hate the holidays; they’re too expensive, too busy, and another excuse for consumerism to take over. The Grinch is here because he has to be, otherwise, he’d be the only member of the family not in attendance. 

The Peacekeeper

The peacekeeper is the member of the family who just wants everyone to enjoy being together, and to get along. They’ll smooth over any source of argument, calmly remind everyone the importance of enjoying time together, and change the subject every time it gets rowdy. The peacekeeper is the family member who keeps everyone from losing their shit on each other.

Santa’s Little Elf

Obsessed doesn’t even describe their love for the holidays. Decorations are up November 1st, shopping is finished by November 2nd, and when December hits, you better watch out, because the holiday spirit is everywhere. This member of the family wants to thank everyone for being home for the holidays, pass out gifts, d is likely in head to toe red and green. They have enough holiday spirit for everyone- and while not annoying, they’re a little overwhelming.

The over-indulger 

It’s not too much food, or too much holiday spirit, it’s too much to drink. There is always one member of the family who has polished off 5 glasses of wine when everyone else is still sipping on their first. The whole family in one house, lots going on- it’s a coping strategy. Drink more, and be less annoyed. Sure, they get a little loud and might be the first one asleep, but the over-indulger has the right idea during the holiday season- and yes, this is me.

The holidays are about enjoying time with your family…every single member! Good luck this holiday season!

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.