This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

How is it the start of April already? How are we approaching finals season already? March flew by but now we must get ready for the very dreaded finals season. But you know what? We are all going to do great. I have some self-care tips for you to help you mentally prepare because after all, if you are not taking care of yourself, no amount of studying will do you any good. 2023 is the year about bettering our mental health because it can help us do better within the school and our own personal lives.

Schedule NOW
The first tip I have for you would be to create that schedule and start mapping out what finals you have first and what information you know first. That way you know how to prioritize your time. Now I know this is not exactly considered self-care, however, this does help your mind out in the end. I find when I am organized, I end up doing better than how I would be doing if I did not plan it all out. With that being said, make sure you take the appropriate number of breaks; your brain will not retain anything if you don’t rest in between study sessions and learning material for different courses.

Stay Active
Now, when I tell you staying active is one of the best ways you can help yourself mentally, I mean it. Studies do show that if you exercise and drink lots of water, your overall mental health will be better. When it’s exam season, it’s good to have good mental health because in the end you are often drained. Staying active is a good way to keep your brain healthy and your mental well-being in tip-top shape!

Go for walks if you are feeling overwhelmed
If you are ever feeling stressed out, which sadly will probably happen because finals are stressful, take a break and go for a walk. Walks are very therapeutic and can help clear the mind. When you are overwhelmed, the air is very good for you. Just pop in your tunes, and you are good to go!

Keep up the normal self-care routines
I am very much someone who does this but usually when I am stressed out during exam season, I forget to keep up with my normal self-care routines, like my skincare. But what I have learned is that it’s very important to keep up with that, especially during exam season. You will feel better one hundred percent! Something about starting and ending your day with your skincare routine makes you excited for the day ahead and makes you feel complete since you got through a day’s worth of hard work!

Keep Calm and Carry On
No matter what happens during finals season, just know you tried your best and you will be okay. Just continue practicing healthy habits and doing the best that you can, because, at the end of the day, there’s not much else you can do.

Understand that if you stay up and cram all night, that information will not properly be retained and there’s no need to stress yourself out. Just create a schedule, eat healthily, drink lots of water, and get a good amount of sleep and you will be okay. I totally get that this time of year is stressful, because believe me, I am stressed, but you got this and you are going to do great! Stay strong and party hard afterwards!

Gemma Samuels

Wilfrid Laurier '26

Hello! I am currently studying Communication Studies with a minor in Digital Media at Wilfrid Laurier University. Previously, I had taken a year between high school and university and during that time I had worked multiple jobs, and learned more about myself as a person. I have a passion for writing, photography, creating music and adventuring. I had ran for thirteen years, and I started out my university experience in the Economics program and found out, it was not for me; I need more creativity. I am now in my second year of university, all while working a couple of part time jobs, and promoting positivity and good mental health.