stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Say Bye to the Smoke and Hello to the Money in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If your New Year’s resolution for 2018 is to end an unhealthy habit, Leave the Pack Behind is an organization that is ready to help you achieve your goal.

Quitting smoking can be difficult, and not everyone is ready to quit right now. That’s why Leave the Pack Behind’s contest, ‘wouldurather’ uniquely offers four different categories to meet you where you are at right now. Just choose what you want to do – quit, cut back by half, stay away from smoking anytime you party or drink alcohol, or commit to continuing your smoke-free lifestyle. Perfect timing for a New Year resolution goal! The contest starts Monday, January 29th. Enter at www.wouldurather.ca for your chance to win up to $2,500 in cash prizes.

Leave the Pack Behind is a program dedicated to supporting young adults who are interested in quitting smoking. The goal of this organization is to reduce the number of young adults consuming tobacco/nicotine products across Ontario. Leave the Pack Behind provides quit resources which can be shipped directly to your home and are they are all completely free! Now that’s what I call door to door support. These resources include an 8-week supply of nicotine patches and gum. They also include self-help booklets, which offer evidence based information about tips on how to quit, how to handle withdrawal symptoms, and stress throughout this process. The image below highlights some of the research done by this organization, such as the prevalence of smoking in young adult populations and how effective products like nicotine gum and patches are for those choosing to quit.

Leave the Pack Behind’s newest innovation to help motivate and support young adults to decrease their amount of smoking in Ontario is a contest called wouldurather. This contest gives anyone the chance to win up to $2,500!! I don’t know about you, but quitting a habitat that is bad for your health and having the chance to win a good amount a cash is a pretty good source of motivation for me to kick start this New Year’s resolution.

Let’s Talk About the Details of wouldurather:

To show their support to all individuals at their own stage of quitting smoking, Leave the Back Behind highlights four different kind of smokers. Quit for Good represents anyone who is ready to make 2018 the year to quit smoking for good. Because this group is going all in, they have the chance to receive the largest prize of $2500. If you are the lucky individual chosen from the draw to win $2500, a physical examination to test for tobacco in your system will be required at the end of the contest. The next group of this competition is Keep the Count, an individual participating in this group will make a commitment to cutting back smoking to 50%. Cutting back smoke intake by 50% is a huge accomplishment, which is why this person has the chance to win $1000 when taking part in this category. The next group is aimed at individuals who are ready to quit their amount of social smoking. When committed to stop smoking at parties a person has the chance to win $500. Imagine, you could go out for dinner for an entire month with the money you earned if you just stop smoking while partying, that’s amazing. Finally, Leave the Pack Behind doesn’t leave anyone out and wants to show appreciation to the people who don’t smoke by giving them the chance to win $250 for not smoking.

If you’re sold on this contest and would like to check out how to sign up, please visit these links (https://www.leavethepackbehind.org/Home/https://wouldurather.ca/en/) which will educate you further on this organization and the actual contest. Sign up today because the last day to register for wouldurather is on January 28, 2018  at 11:59pm. Good luck to all of you who are choosing to make a commitment to your health by Leaving the Pack Behind this year!

Three phrases that I live by and describe my personality best are:  Do what you love and give it everything you have. Everything happens for a reson let the universe guide you. All we need is love. - The Beatles 
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.