This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Let’s get real about getting SAD. While yes, I am referring to the emotion as well; what I mean by SAD is the type of depression that occurs with the change of seasons. If you haven’t heard of it, you should look into it. It can be a very minor or major struggle and exists in Canadian’s way more than it is talked about. Time to normalize having SAD, and more importantly, normalize doing something to help it.

What is seasonal affective disorder? As mentioned, it is a type of depression that occurs with the change of season. Particularly with the change and loss of sunlight, as that alters our body’s biological clock. Sadly, for us Canadians, living so far from the equator means that our sunlight schedule changes quite severely. Seasonal depression also tends to come and go around the same time each year. Thus, making it hard to self-recognize as anything more than disliking the upcoming winter weather trends.

Like all mental health, it can feel heavily stigmatized and because it only occurs for part of the year, it can leave people feeling like they’re just in their heads, being overdramatic or imagining things. This was how I felt for almost all of my teenage years. Every year my symptoms got worse, and like clockwork, I was able to justify it and make an excuse for it. This pattern continued until the winter of my first year in university when I found myself stuck in bed for 3 weeks straight. Other than to turn on or off the lights, use the washroom or make food, I stayed in my bed. I let my grades slip, did not answer messages or calls and let my negative thoughts consume me into a completely sunken state. It was that spring, once I had come out of my depressive state fully, that I realized how bad it had gotten and decided to seek professional help.

My case is severe, however, for most, it is very minor and for that reason hard to diagnose. Some common symptoms can include remaining tired throughout the day, lacking the motivation to do daily tasks, having a harder time feeling joy and physically feeling heavy or anxious. While those are some common symptoms, if you are concerned that like me your symptoms are more severe, I heavily advise seeking professional help. However, no matter what type of SAD you suffer from, here are my personal tips to making this season enjoyable, not just manageable.  

Keep a Journal

This is a trick I picked up that helped me a lot. Even if you are not an A-class writer this trick can be effective for a few reasons. Consistently writing about your emotions allows your brain to process feelings better and get out of your own head; AKA allowing you to see outside of your own immediate perspective. It also allows for a release of emotions and tension that may be building up. Finally, journaling helps train your brain in organized thinking, not only will your writing become smoother, but your thoughts will feel less cluttered and less overwhelming.

Force Yourself to go Outside

Just go outside for 10 minutes a day, that’s it.  Is the cold weather enjoyable? No, I feel you there. While I wish I was a snow bunny, sadly I’m not and being cold is in my top 10 list of things outside my comfort zone. However, to have mental clarity requires fresh air. Forcing yourself to go outside, whether that be for a coffee run or just a quick walk around the block, helps clear your brain and give your body some much needed Vitamin C. Forcing yourself to do this can also help your mind retain discipline, and can make doing the tasks you actually need to do feel not as hard to accomplish.

Daily To-Do List

Now I don’t just mean a daily list with the schoolwork you need to do. I mean a list that has everything you need to do on it. If you need to take a shower, put it on the list; eat three meals a day, put it on the list. Anything and everything you do in a day go on the list. This makes even small things feel like wins, and it can build serotonin when you can physically see the productivity you are making in your day; or where you need to improve.

Seasonal Goals

Make yourself a list of things that can only be done during the wintertime. Catching snowflakes, planning a week of fun winter fits, making a snowman, going on a hike, etc. Give yourself something to look forward to that is separate from any other time of year. For me personally, I give myself a new hobby that I only do during these seasons. Last year (as I mentioned I donative with the cold) mine was making the viral TikTok handknitted blankets. The year before that it was cooking a new recipe with winter harvested foods each week. This allowed me to dive into something that made the season feel unique.

Sunlight Lamp

Sunlight lamps are a newer trend, and while I personally haven’t pulled the trigger on getting one quite yet, I’ve heard nothing but good things from friends who have. The sun lamp is a special lamp made to mimic real sunlight to help boost serotonin levels and balance your body’s natural clock. It is recommended that you use them while doing desk work, or other tasks that leave you almost stationary for a longer period to feel the full effects. Some lamps double as alarms and are meant to sit on your bedside table so that as the morning goes on it gets brighter and brighter. Thus, allowing realistic imitation of the sun rising throughout the day.

Breathe

The number one tip I have is to remember to breathe. A 10-minute meditation session in the morning and night, forcing yourself to take deep breaths when you notice yours are shallow and closing your eyes and tracing your breath in overwhelming moments are a few gentle ways to ground yourself.

Seasonal depression can feel confusing and like you’re losing yourself for an unknown reason. It makes it even harder if you downplay how you feel or let yourself believe you’re just being dramatic. Validate your own emotions, give yourself space to recognize and cope and breathe. Your mental health matters and you are not alone.

Belle O’Neill

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Belle is a forth year Communications and Environmental Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University. Hoping to pursue a career in Journalism, Belle has a passion for people and story telling.